Jackie D

Default Bullets misbehaving!

Hi

Does anyone know what's going on with my bullets? Each time I return, a
number bullet is normally created on the next line down. Now, for some
reason, when I return a line space is occurring before the the next number
bullet. It's almost as if double line space has been switched on (it hasn't).

I can't see why this is happening. Does anyone else?
--

Many thanks
JD
Charles Kenyon

See: How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Word
document
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. (For
bullets see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html, the
subject is related.)

This is based on ...

Word's Numbering Explained
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...gExplained.htm

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Hi

Does anyone know what's going on with my bullets? Each time I return, a
number bullet is normally created on the next line down. Now, for some
reason, when I return a line space is occurring before the the next number
bullet. It's almost as if double line space has been switched on (it
hasn't).

I can't see why this is happening. Does anyone else?
--

Many thanks
JD

Jackie D

Hi Suzanne

No there are no spaces before or after the bullet. The parameters for the
bullets working correctly are identical to the misbehaving bullets.
--

Many thanks
JD

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Hi

Does anyone know what's going on with my bullets? Each time I return, a
number bullet is normally created on the next line down. Now, for some
reason, when I return a line space is occurring before the the next number
bullet. It's almost as if double line space has been switched on (it

hasn't).

I can't see why this is happening. Does anyone else?
--

Many thanks
JD

No, I'm talking about paragraph formatting. Go to Format | Paragraph and see
if there is a non-zero number in the Spacing: Before/After box.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Does your bulleted style have Space Before or After?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Hi

Does anyone know what's going on with my bullets? Each time I return,

number bullet is normally created on the next line down. Now, for some
reason, when I return a line space is occurring before the the next

number
bullet. It's almost as if double line space has been switched on (it

hasn't).

I can't see why this is happening. Does anyone else?
--

Many thanks
JD

Jackie D

Hi

I'm talking about the same thing! The spaces before and after are set to
zero. It;'s why I'm so baffled...
--

Many thanks
JD

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Hi

Does anyone know what's going on with my bullets? Each time I return,

number bullet is normally created on the next line down. Now, for some
reason, when I return a line space is occurring before the the next

number
bullet. It's almost as if double line space has been switched on (it
hasn't).

I can't see why this is happening. Does anyone else?
--

Many thanks
JD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bryan Saint Germain Bryan Saint Germain is offline

JD, I know exactly what you mean, and this has bugged me since I moved up to
Word 2003. I was just looking through the forums for an answer and all I
could find was your question. Here's what I know: (turn on display of hidden
characters to make it obvious):

If the cursor is resting (blinking) on a bullet that's blank (no text on
that line, just a hard return) and I press the return/enter key, that bullet
changes to a normal (non-bulleted) line and the new line I've created is also
a normal (non-bulleted) line with the cursor resting at the start of that new
line. This happens whether I start on the last bullet of a set or I start on
an empty bullet in the middle of a set of bullets.

Note that this is not an issue of space before or after paragraphs. I'm
quite familiar with that option and use it a lot in my work. As I said,
turning on display of hard returns will make the behavior quite clear.

Now frankly, I find this irritating. I'm used to creating a number of extra
bullets within a set and then populating them with text in some order other
than first, second, third, etc. I know that I can select the bullets that
were automatically converted to normal paragraphs and convert them back, but
that does seem excessive. This was not an issue in Office 2000.

I thought there would be a checkbox somewhere in the style and formatting
options but so far I've been unable to find one that affects this behavior.
Maybe someone else knows where to find it . . .

Regards,
Bryan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This was set up as a way for clueless users (which you obviously are not) to
"get out of" bullets. If you will type at least a single space after the
bullet before pressing Enter, the bullet will be retained.

"Bryan Saint Germain" wrote in
message ...