Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document?

The following macro applied to a button will toggle the text boundaries

Sub Boundaries()
With ActiveWindow.View
.ShowTextBoundaries = Not .ShowTextBoundaries
End With
End Sub

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I think I'm more dependent on text boundaries than on nonprinting
characters, which I usually turn off when I'm proofreading (but flip back
on to confirm suspected cases of extra spaces and the like). I do wish,
though, that there were a similarly simple toggle for text boundaries;
someone inquired about that recently (wanting to add it to the QAT in Word
2007), and I hadn't thought about it till then, but I would appreciate that
button.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Yes, I feel the same. Previously I imagined that nonprinting marks were
more important to me, but I'm gradually realizing that I'm highly
dependent on text boundaries as well.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I find myself absolutely at sea when I open a copy of Word that doesn't
have both nonprinting characters and text boundaries displayed. Those are
the two changes I make immediately.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Good point.

Having text boundaries displayed in Word makes it easier to see such
page number frames.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Also, if it was inserted via Insert | Page Numbers, it will be in a
frame, and you need to be careful to delete the entire frame to avoid
the "wandering frame" problem discussed in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Double-click the page number in the header (or footer); this
activates the header/footer view. Then select and delete the page
number that you want to get rid of.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Keith" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote:

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using
the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of
ways to
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a
document
once inserted.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The following will toggle paragraphs and tabs display. If you only want
paragraph marks toggled, remove the tabs line

Sub ShowParasAndTabs()
With ActiveWindow.View
.ShowTabs = Not .ShowTabs
.ShowParagraphs = Not .ShowParagraphs
End With
End Sub

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
I'd like a QAT button for Paragraph Marks. I have them (and Tabs)
always on (but not the other Non-Printing Characters), but they
interfere considerably when dealing with tables. Especially since the
Paragraph Mark coding is used in some non-roman fonts for actual
letters, so they appear in the cells rather than faint circles.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

[...]

. ..

"Keith" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote:

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using
the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of
ways to
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a
document
once inserted.
Thanks.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank you ... now, this is weird!! As soon as I put the title of the
new macro, "ShowParas," into the box for the title of the new macro, a
pre-written macro appeared in the box at the bottom, and all I had to
do was OK it!

The same, however, did not happen when I tried to make another one for
ShowTabs. I had to paste Graham's six lines and delete the
ShowParagraphs one.

And unfortunately there aren't any ideal icons in the available
collection ... I used the green right-pointing triangle for Paras and
the fat blue right-pointing arrow for Tabs.

So, is there a bunch of ready-to-go macros sitting somewhere, such
that if one only knows their name, one can just pop them into use?

On Mar 21, 2:52*am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
The following will toggle paragraphs and tabs display. If you only want
paragraph marks toggled, remove the tabs line

Sub ShowParasAndTabs()
* * With ActiveWindow.View
* * * * .ShowTabs = Not .ShowTabs
* * * * .ShowParagraphs = Not .ShowParagraphs
* * End With
End Sub

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in ...
I'd like a QAT button for Paragraph Marks. I have them (and Tabs)
always on (but not the other Non-Printing Characters), but they
interfere considerably when dealing with tables. Especially since the
Paragraph Mark coding is used in some non-roman fonts for actual
letters, so they appear in the cells rather than faint circles.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Actually is is "ShowPara" and it is a built-in Word command. For whatever
reason there is not, or a least doesn't appear to be, a built-in Word
command for ShowTab.

So, is there a bunch of ready-to-go macros sitting somewhere, such
that if one only knows their name, one can just pop them into use?

They are called built-in Word commands and the list is available using the
Macro dialog/Macros in dropdown.

You can add practically any icon to the QAT
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Ribbon_Custom_Icons.htm

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

?! But a couple of items in that list are things that people posted
special macros for me for! (BibliographyCitationtoText,
BibliographytoText -- when the commands in the respective frames
ceased working for me.)

There's also one called "Create Bibliography from Sel." ??

(As for making new buttons, as you say on that page, "difficult and
complex." Though now I know why I have a "Custom UI Editor" folder on
my desktop. Left over from a previous time you referenced this
procedure.)