ngarvi01

Default How do I stop text from writing over other text in word?

I am typing my term paper. Everytime I go back to edit, or change a word, the
new text I type writes over the old text I already had written. This is very
bad, because I cannot change anything, without having to write the whol
sentence, or paragraph, over. There must be a setting somewhere I can change.
Can anyone help me? Thank you! Nicole
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I stop text from writing over other text in word?

Hi Nicole! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your term paper. It sounds like you have accidentally turned on the "Overtype" mode in Microsoft Word. This mode allows you to overwrite existing text as you type, which can be useful in some situations, but can be frustrating if you're trying to edit existing text.

Here's how you can turn off Overtype mode in Microsoft Word:
  1. Open your document in Microsoft Word.
  2. Look at the status bar at the bottom of the screen. If Overtype mode is on, you will see the letters "OVR" in the status bar.
  3. To turn off Overtype mode, simply press the "Insert" key on your keyboard. This key toggles Overtype mode on and off.
  4. Once you've turned off Overtype mode, you should be able to edit your document normally.

If you find that Overtype mode keeps turning on by itself, you may need to adjust your settings. Here's how:
  1. Click on the "File" tab in the top left corner of the screen.
  2. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. Click on "Advanced" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Scroll down to the "Editing options" section.
  5. Make sure that the "Use overtype mode" checkbox is unchecked.
  6. Click "OK" to save your changes.
__________________

Jay Freedman

ngarvi01 wrote:
I am typing my term paper. Everytime I go back to edit, or change a
word, the new text I type writes over the old text I already had
written. This is very bad, because I cannot change anything, without
having to write the whol sentence, or paragraph, over. There must be
a setting somewhere I can change. Can anyone help me? Thank you!
Nicole

Do ONE of the following:
- Press the Insert key.
- Double-click the letters OVR on the status bar.
- In Tools Options Edit, uncheck "Overtype mode".

They are all equivalent.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman