Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bristol Bristol is offline

Default Unwanted dot BELOW a letter

I have a dot appearing below a letter. It also prints there. If I delete or
cut the letter the dot jumps to the previous letter. Deleting the paragraph
deletes the dot. (This is not the dots that represent spaces.) How can I
get rid of it?
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Leslie D Leslie D is offline

Did you find any resolution to this? We had this happen to someone in our
office yesterday as well however I haven't found any answers for it yet.

"Bristol" wrote:

I have a dot appearing below a letter. It also prints there. If I delete or
cut the letter the dot jumps to the previous letter. Deleting the paragraph
deletes the dot. (This is not the dots that represent spaces.) How can I
get rid of it?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bristol Bristol is offline

No, no one at all has replied. I just deleted the paragraph and retyped (a
minor pain).
Hey, experts, does no-one know what causes this and how to fix it?

"Bristol" wrote:

I have a dot appearing below a letter. It also prints there. If I delete or
cut the letter the dot jumps to the previous letter. Deleting the paragraph
deletes the dot. (This is not the dots that represent spaces.) How can I
get rid of it?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Nope, no clue -- it isn't anything I've ever seen or heard of.

If you still had the original document with the dot in place, I'd offer to
take a look at it. It could be a stray bit of a drawing object, but there's
nothing in plain-vanilla Word that behaves that way.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Bristol" wrote:

I have a dot appearing below a letter. It also prints there. If I
delete or cut the letter the dot jumps to the previous letter.
Deleting the paragraph deletes the dot. (This is not the dots that
represent spaces.) How can I get rid of it?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bristol Bristol is offline

Thanks Jay, but it has not recurred recently, though it is interesting that I
am not the only person who met this. If it recurs I'll send it to you.

"Bristol" wrote:

I have a dot appearing below a letter. It also prints there. If I
delete or cut the letter the dot jumps to the previous letter.
Deleting the paragraph deletes the dot. (This is not the dots that
represent spaces.) How can I get rid of it?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Bristol

Bristol wrote:
No, no one at all has replied. I just deleted the paragraph and retyped (a
minor pain).

Could be some Shape (Image, etc.) anchored to the paragraph.

Failing that, I'd investigate all display options/unprintable
characters, and might land at some obscure far eastern feature. Almost
impossible w/o seeing the document, of course. :-)

0.02¢
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Rogergmx Rogergmx is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
I have a dot appearing below a letter. It also prints there. If I delete or
cut the letter the dot jumps to the previous letter. Deleting the paragraph
deletes the dot. (This is not the dots that represent spaces.) How can I
get rid of it?
Thanks.
I can observe the same in filenames on a Windows 2003 server. The dots appear if a Mac user uses a character in a filename that is not allowed in Windows, e.g. a forward slash, a question mark and so on. The dot indicates, that there is a (one or several) unprintable character(s) AFTER the character with the dot. So if you delete the letter with the dot, the unprintable character is still there and the dot appears again below the previous character.
(No, I don't know what happens if the filename starts with one of these special characters.)