Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Furrythingwithtail Furrythingwithtail is offline

Default Installing Word 2000 on Vista laptop

I have a new Acer laptop which has no word processing software, so I have
tried to install my sealed, new, legal Word 2000 disc. I bought it along with
my old (and now deceased) computer a few years ago, never installed it
because it turned out to be already installed with Office apps.

But this Vista laptop won't install it. Heck, it doesn't even recognize it.
Is there any workaround, or do I just have to break down and buy the 2007
version??

3-feet-tall, with tail and ''''''''tude
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There is no reason why Vista cannot install a legitimate retail copy of
Office 2000. At what point does the installation fail?

Furrythingwithtail wrote:
I have a new Acer laptop which has no word processing software, so I
have tried to install my sealed, new, legal Word 2000 disc. I bought
it along with my old (and now deceased) computer a few years ago,
never installed it because it turned out to be already installed with
Office apps.

But this Vista laptop won't install it. Heck, it doesn't even
recognize it. Is there any workaround, or do I just have to break
down and buy the 2007 version??

3-feet-tall, with tail and ''''''''tude

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Furrythingwithtail Furrythingwithtail is offline

The disc runs up, then stops.... no dialog box comes up... checking further
in Computer, it shows no disc in drive. This is a brand new, sealed until
yesterday, MS disc with COA. I've also had trouble installing MS Streets &
Trips 2006, and Broderbund Print Shop 22. Both of those quit at the second
disc, repeatedly asking me to insert the disc that is already in the drive. I
have not had trouble with other software installs or with the drive reading
burned discs or movie DVDs.
--

Furrythingwithtail wrote:
I have a new Acer laptop which has no word processing software, so I
have tried to install my sealed, new, legal Word 2000 disc. I bought
it along with my old (and now deceased) computer a few years ago,
never installed it because it turned out to be already installed with
Office apps.

But this Vista laptop won't install it. Heck, it doesn't even
recognize it. Is there any workaround, or do I just have to break
down and buy the 2007 version??

3-feet-tall, with tail and ''''''''tude

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If the drive cannot read commercially pressed discs it suggests a problem
with the drive. Retaining the ability to read and write disc copies created
on it, suggests a problem of alignment. I would return it whence it came and
get it checked out.

Furrythingwithtail wrote:
I have a new Acer laptop which has no word processing software, so I
have tried to install my sealed, new, legal Word 2000 disc. I bought
it along with my old (and now deceased) computer a few years ago,
never installed it because it turned out to be already installed
with Office apps.

But this Vista laptop won't install it. Heck, it doesn't even
recognize it. Is there any workaround, or do I just have to break
down and buy the 2007 version??

3-feet-tall, with tail and ''''''''tude

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Furrythingwithtail Furrythingwithtail is offline

I will contact Acer support in this regard. As an aside, I also just
purchased Write Bros. "Writers Dream Kit" which contained a warning for Vista
installs, that of not to use the AutoRun feature... instead, to choose to
open the files and run from the .exe file, because Vista won't install it
otherwise. So I tried that workaround with others, no dice.
--

Furrythingwithtail wrote:
I have a new Acer laptop which has no word processing software, so I
have tried to install my sealed, new, legal Word 2000 disc. I bought
it along with my old (and now deceased) computer a few years ago,
never installed it because it turned out to be already installed
with Office apps.

But this Vista laptop won't install it. Heck, it doesn't even
recognize it. Is there any workaround, or do I just have to break
down and buy the 2007 version??

3-feet-tall, with tail and ''''''''tude

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Furrythingwithtail Furrythingwithtail is offline

WELLLLL... it does read SOME commercial discs, notably the Canon printer
drivers and bloatware, plus installed Myst IV without trouble. So far the
problem seems to be with Streets & Trips 2006, and Print Shop 22.... but then
I haven't enough CD-based software to compare
--

Furrythingwithtail wrote:
I have a new Acer laptop which has no word processing software, so I
have tried to install my sealed, new, legal Word 2000 disc. I bought
it along with my old (and now deceased) computer a few years ago,
never installed it because it turned out to be already installed
with Office apps.

But this Vista laptop won't install it. Heck, it doesn't even
recognize it. Is there any workaround, or do I just have to break
down and buy the 2007 version??

3-feet-tall, with tail and ''''''''tude

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cpowers616 cpowers616 is offline

FYI - I have installed MS Office 2000 on my new Dell computer with Vista - no
problems unless I try to save to a disk. Have resorted to reformatting my
floppys (need them for home office work). . . .and seems to work okay, but I
have broke down and bought MS Office 2007 Home & Student Edition. Office
2000 works on Vista, but has a few malfunctions. I've just decided to
upgrade completely.

Think I did have to install from the CD's .exe set-up file, however. Did
this in May - so can't remember. If it doesn't work, I agree that you need
the drive checked, and that sounds like an Acer problem