Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MiracleMaker MiracleMaker is offline

Default Must use *NUM* fields instead of built-in numbering and struggling

For reasons that need not be explained I am not able to use the built in
numbering functionality to achieve my business result.

My experience with auto numbering fields is limited to what I have been able
to read on-line in the last few days.

I have four level 1 items. Two of these have level 2 items, one of which
also has level 4 items. I say level 4 because that is the display type I
want to use. My problem is this level 4 needs to display level 2.

1.
2.
a)
b) (1)
b) (2)
c)
3.
a)
4.

It doesn't seem as if I can create a custom list format that LISTNUM can
reference and it doesn't seem possible to do using AUTONUMLGL fields.

Is it my lack of experience or intelligence that is keeping me from finding
the solution or is there none?

Thanks in advance for your help
Numb Numbering Novice
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

or is there none?

Don't know, but I would forget the LISTNUM and AUTONUM type fields and
construct what you want using { SEQ } fields, which do not have the
immediacy of those other field types (i.e. you may have to select fields and
press F9 to see the results) and are more difficult to protect against
accidental user behaviour, but e.g....

1.
2.
a)
b) (1)
b) (2)
c)
3.
a)
4.

{ QUOTE { SEQ level2 \r0 \h }{ SEQ level1 }. }
{ QUOTE { SEQ level2 \r0 \h }{ SEQ level1 }. }
{ QUOTE { SEQ level3 \r0 \h }{ SEQ level2 \*alphabetic }) }
{ QUOTE { SEQ level3 \r0 \h }{ SEQ level2 \*alphabetic } ({ SEQ level3 }) }
{ QUOTE { SEQ level3 \r0 \h }{ SEQ level2 \*alphabetic \c } ({ SEQ

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"MiracleMaker" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MiracleMaker MiracleMaker is offline

Default Must use *NUM* fields instead of built-in numbering and strugg

Beautiful!! That works very well even if it doesn't look pretty. Thank you
for making miracles happen.

May many blessings be upon you
-No longer Numb Numbering Novice