Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stuartbell stuartbell is offline

Default Controlling File Growth when exporting Powerpoint to Word

I "send to" about 100 slides (4.5 meg) from Powerpoint to word - the
resultant document is 110 meg large and is somewhat difficult to
manipulate. I tried "paste" and "Link" of notes page and had
essentially the same result.

The space seems to be split about equally among all 100 slide images.

What can I do to manage the resultant Word file size and make it
workable?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Do you have a lot of graphics in your presentation? Try compressing the
pictures. Also, this sounds crazy, but if you put a blank slide at the
beginning of your presentation, it will actually make your file smaller. You
can just hide the blank slide. I hope this has been helpful to you.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"stuartbell" wrote:

I "send to" about 100 slides (4.5 meg) from Powerpoint to word - the
resultant document is 110 meg large and is somewhat difficult to
manipulate. I tried "paste" and "Link" of notes page and had
essentially the same result.

The space seems to be split about equally among all 100 slide images.

What can I do to manage the resultant Word file size and make it
workable?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stuartbell stuartbell is offline

Carol: Thank you for your suggestions:

Try compressing the pictures.

There are 100 slides from PowerPoint - most have some graphics and text
mixed - and many were copy/pasted from a text book that is the basis
for the class. I don't know how to automatically compress the images
in PowerPoint - and manual compression of 100 pictures is difficult
since the slides evolve in parallel with the product i'm involved with
- the instructor's guide. It would be nice to use the automatic DLE
facilities that come with Word and PPT to keep the presentations in
sync.

Also, this sounds crazy, but if you put a blank slide at the beginning of your presentation, it will actually make your file smaller.

I tried this to no effect. I also tried repeatidly splitting the WORD
document in half to "search" for one or more original PowerPoint images
that may account for a high amount of the 117 meg in the word file. No
luck - the images are split about evenly.

Finally, I saved the entire WORD document as HTML and re-opened it in
WORD and resaved it as a DOC file. The 117Meg file dropped to about 8
Meg with no apparent loss of content. The intermediate HTML version
has a GIF file for each original PowerPoint slide - much much smaller
but with the same visual content.

My guess is the "Send to WORD" function in PowerPoint exports a high
density JPEG file for each slide and these files cause the 117 MEG file
in WORD.

Do you know any way to control the export format of PPT?

Thank you again. /Stu

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Hi Stuart,

Using the Send To function in PowerPoint does not bloat the file. See:

I'm not sure which version of PowerPoint you're using but see the tip below
which applies to 2002:

On the Picture toolbar, click the Compress Pictures button. If you don't see
the Picture toolbar, point to Toolbars on the View menu, and then click
Picture.
To compress all pictures in the presentation, click All pictures in document.
Under Change resolution, select how you intend to use your presentation by
clicking either Web/Screen or Print.
To further reduce file size, select the Delete cropped areas of pictures
check box.
Click OK.

I hope this has been helfpul to you.

--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"stuartbell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stuartbell stuartbell is offline

Carol,

I went to the help file (we aqre on PPT 2002) and did as instructed.
My current text file exports to 85 meg if I do nothing - and it went to
91 meg after following the article's suggestions.

If I take the resultant WORD document, export it to HTML and re-import
it to .DOC, the file size drops to about 5 meg with no visable change
in the graphic portion of the product.

Thank you. /Stu

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Hi Stu,

Glad you were able to resolve your problem but I'm sure there is an easier
way. If all else fails, post to a PowerPoint newsgroup!

Have a great day!
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP