Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roberta Roberta is offline

Default Word 2007 Format Painter doesn't work when d-clicked

The format painter works with a single click, however when double-clicked it
works once then I have to go back and click it from the tool bar. Is this a
bug in 2007? Not every PC here with Word 2007 is doing this. We are on
Windows XP Pro.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Instead of using the Format Painter, I recommend using the shortcuts for
Copy Format (Ctrl+Shift+C) and Paste Format (Ctrl+Shift+V). The advantage to
these shortcuts is that a copied format remains on the format Clipboard
indefinitely (till you copy another one) and can be pasted whenever/wherever
you like, even after performing other operations.

"Roberta" wrote in message
The format painter works with a single click, however when double-clicked
it
works once then I have to go back and click it from the tool bar. Is this
bug in 2007? Not every PC here with Word 2007 is doing this. We are on
Windows XP Pro.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Roberta,

There are some scenarios where the double click does not work with the format painter. It can depend on the updates applied to
Office 2007 as well as the type of content in the selection you're trying to copy, or interference from an add-in.

If you create a new document and create test text using
=lorem(25,1)
then apply formatting to one paragraph and then try to use the format painter via double click can you copy the formatting to
multiple locations?

=================
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

The page numbering is definitely the problem but the work around doesn't work
for me either. I have to take out the page numbers completely. Any further
news on this little bug? Thanks. Michael

"Roberta" wrote in message ...
The format painter works with a single click, however when double-clicked it
works once then I have to go back and click it from the tool bar. Is this a
bug in 2007? Not every PC here with Word 2007 is doing this. We are on
Windows XP Pro.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gil Gil is offline

I have the same problem. Here's what I figured out:

Whenever a document contains a header or footer with a page number selected
from the page number gallery, the format painter double click mode does not
"stick". Once you insert the page number, the format painter double click
goes away on its own after you apply it once. But much worse, it also goes
away if you scroll - by mouse or keyboard - just a little bit in the document
(about a page).

Fortunately, the workaround is quite simple: insert a page number field
manually via Quick Parts instead of the gallery.

I think the problem started happening with SP1, so that might explain why
the problem is only happening on some machines.

Gil

"Roberta" wrote:

The format painter works with a single click, however when double-clicked it
works once then I have to go back and click it from the tool bar. Is this a
bug in 2007? Not every PC here with Word 2007 is doing this. We are on
Windows XP Pro.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Whirly Whirly is offline

When I read this, I was suspect of the validity of this, but astonishingly,
this worked for me too. Unlike others, who had the problem on a MACHINE, I
received a single DOCUMENT that had this issue somehow embedded in it...and
this solution worked for that document.

"Roberta" wrote:

The format painter works with a single click, however when double-clicked it
works once then I have to go back and click it from the tool bar. Is this a
bug in 2007? Not every PC here with Word 2007 is doing this. We are on
Windows XP Pro.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

I have this same problem on my machine. Here's what I know, I upgraded from
office 2003. I did this on 2 machines, they both have this problem with
format painter, won't double click. I took the same CD and installed it on a
system that never had office before, and format painter works with 2 clicks.
I tried un-installing office 2K3 and 2K7 on the first machine, and
re-installing with SP1. It did not fix this issue. There has to be something
in the registry that is sticking around that is breaking format painter.

Anyone have a fix for this? It does it in safe mode and the office diag
finds nothing. This is really annoying!!!