Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
bsharp bsharp is offline

Default "Match fields" changes not saving when start from Outlook

I am using Word and Outlook 2007. When I start a merge from Outlook by
selecting the contact from the contact list, then tools, then mail merge, I
am having this issue. If I start from Word, the issue is not there, but then
I can't get to my Outlook fields.

I had changed some of the match fields in the recent past, and the changes
stuck. Now I want to revert back to the default settings. When I make the
changes, they don't stick. I am checking "Remember this matching set" at the
bottom.

Doesn't seem to matter if I load a new document, or open an existing
document. This happens either way.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I guess that you are using the AddressBlock. Instead of doing that, just
insert the mergefields, using their actual names in the configuration that
you want them.

See the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website:

http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"bsharp" wrote in message
I am using Word and Outlook 2007. When I start a merge from Outlook by
selecting the contact from the contact list, then tools, then mail merge,
am having this issue. If I start from Word, the issue is not there, but
then
I can't get to my Outlook fields.

I had changed some of the match fields in the recent past, and the changes
stuck. Now I want to revert back to the default settings. When I make the
changes, they don't stick. I am checking "Remember this matching set" at
the
bottom.

Doesn't seem to matter if I load a new document, or open an existing
document. This happens either way.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
bsharp bsharp is offline

Thanks, and you are correct, I was using the blocks. Your solution is a good
way to workaround the problem for now.

The reason I like the blocks is when I enter them one at a time, if there is
no company listed, there is a blank field left.

I was able to change them at one time, because the fields I changed are the
ones that I want to change back, but now I can't get the changes to stick.

If you happen to stumble across how to reset match fields to their default
values, I'd love to hear about it.

"bsharp" wrote in message
I am using Word and Outlook 2007. When I start a merge from Outlook by
selecting the contact from the contact list, then tools, then mail merge,
am having this issue. If I start from Word, the issue is not there, but
then
I can't get to my Outlook fields.

I had changed some of the match fields in the recent past, and the changes
stuck. Now I want to revert back to the default settings. When I make the
changes, they don't stick. I am checking "Remember this matching set" at
the
bottom.

Doesn't seem to matter if I load a new document, or open an existing
document. This happens either way.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is easy enough to configure the fields to omit the blank line eg

{Mergefield LastName}{IF {Mergefield Company} "" "¶
{Mergefield Company}"}¶
{Mergefield PostalAddress}¶

ie you insert the line break in the conditional field result as shown by ¶

You can save the combination of fields as an autotext/autocorrect entry for
ease of re-insertion.