Shannon

Default Symbol Shortcut

I have been working with Word quite a lot and have discovered that I somehow
lost the insert symbol shortcut from the Insert drop down menu. Does anyone
know how to get it back to make my projects a little easier to complete. I
would not worry about it very much, except there are several symbols i need
to work with to complete school projects.

Thanks in advance

Shannon
Jay Freedman

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...oreMenuCmd.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay has told you how to get it back. I'll tell you how you lost it so it
doesn't happen again.

1. You wanted to insert an em dash, for which the keyboard shortcut is
Ctrl+Alt+Num- (that is, the minus sign on the numeric keypad).

2. You pressed Ctrl+Alt+Hyphen instead.

3. You thought that nothing had happened. What you didn't realize was that
you had activated what some call the "destructive cursor" or "Terminator
hyphen" (the actual name of the command is
ToolsCustomizeRemoveMenuShortcut). You might have noticed that the mouse
pointer had changed to a giant minus sign. The function of this pointer is
to remove menu shortcuts; it's handy for removing files from the Work menu
or deleted documents from the MRU list on the File menu.

4. You guessed that you had misremembered the keyboard shortcut for an em
dash and decided to use Insert | Symbol instead. As soon as you clicked on
Symbol, poof! it was gone!

If you ever press this key combination by mistake again, remember that you
can dismiss it with ESC.