Pat

Default Nonprinting formatting marks control codes special symbol things

Things like the bent arrow, little circles with 4 spikes sticking out and the backwards P
squashed against a narrow T.
Is there a list of them and what they do?
Perhaps many lists?
If I wanted to find the answer myself what question should I type into Word/Office 2003
Help?
(I know that there is a trick to this - you have to pretend that you are really looking
for something quite different and fool it into giving you an answer that it thinks is
wrong but is actually the one you want - but I am lacking expertise.)
I know I should persevere but I have been at it for 3/4 of an hour and I am feeling
depressed...
(While Googling I was excited to find a relevant question header... The answer ? ... "...
you are posting in the wrong newsgroup...")

Pat Garard

G'Day Pat,

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm .

By the way......
(I know that there is a trick to this - you have to pretend that you are
really looking for something quite different and fool it into giving you
an answer that it thinks is ....

No! I'm afraid you've got it wrong! This works ONLY if you're really stupid!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Pat" wrote in message
Things like the bent arrow, little circles with 4 spikes sticking out and
the backwards P squashed against a narrow T.
Is there a list of them and what they do?
Perhaps many lists?
If I wanted to find the answer myself what question should I type into
Word/Office 2003 Help?
(I know that there is a trick to this - you have to pretend that you are
really looking for something quite different and fool it into giving you
an answer that it thinks is wrong but is actually the one you want - but I
am lacking expertise.)
I know I should persevere but I have been at it for 3/4 of an hour and I
am feeling depressed...
(While Googling I was excited to find a relevant question header... The
answer ? ... "... you are posting in the wrong newsgroup...")

Pat

Thanks for the mvp list.
I typed "pilcrow" into Word Help (the intellectual approach to finding a topic...) but it
had never heard of it.
Neither had my Encarta dictionary.
However "universal monetary symbol" DID bring up incidental help on how to insert smiley
faces which I though might be useful but they won't show so it seems that I am STILL not
stupid enough to get the trick to work.
I will work on the stupidity angle and perhaps soon will be able to trick Word into
telling me where it's "bent arrow" lists are to be found.
Pat.

"Pat Garard" apgarardATbigpondDOTnetDOTau wrote in message
G'Day Pat,

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm .

By the way......
(I know that there is a trick to this - you have to pretend that you are really looking
for something quite different and fool it into giving you an answer that it thinks is

No! I'm afraid you've got it wrong! This works ONLY if you're really stupid!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia

You may as well give up. On the View tab of Tools | Options, they used to be
called "nonprinting characters." Now they're called "formatting marks." But
if you search for "nonprinting characters" in Word's Help, you'll get a lot
of topics about "special characters." If you search for "formatting marks,"
you'll get a brief description of how to show/hide them. That's it. That's
why we provided the article at