Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Emma Aumack Emma Aumack is offline

Default How do I keep styles from changing

I am working on a document that has alot of numbered lists. I have edited
the lists as I want them to appear. The lists are named depending on what
heading they fall under. So a numbered list under Heading 1 would be named
List1 and so on. My problem arises when I go to change the indentation and
renumbering of that list via the modify selection in the styles drop down
menu. I want it to start renumbering after Heading1 and I have tried to
format the hanging indent. But every time I go to Renumbering, I lose my
hanging indent.

Can someone please tell me how to keep my formatting???
--
www.bardpv.com
Tempe, Arizona
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi emma,

I am working on a document that has alot of numbered lists. I have edited
the lists as I want them to appear. The lists are named depending on what
heading they fall under. So a numbered list under Heading 1 would be named
List1 and so on. My problem arises when I go to change the indentation and
renumbering of that list via the modify selection in the styles drop down
menu. I want it to start renumbering after Heading1 and I have tried to
format the hanging indent. But every time I go to Renumbering, I lose my
hanging indent.

Can someone please tell me how to keep my formatting???

It would help us give you exact steps if you tell us the version of Word
you're using...

When you link numbering to paragraphs the indent for the numbering takes
precedent over that of the paragraph style. So if you want to change the
indent you need to change the definition of the list, which is done in the
Format Numbering dialog box.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org