Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert Stanke Robert Stanke is offline

Default Auto Summarize

I have a quick question I am hoping someone can help me out with. I am a
resume writer (that is really not the key thing here, but I want you to
better understand how I am using this function) and I often need to write
executive summaries for resumes. I want to use the Auto Summarize feature in
Word, but can someone explain to me how that feature works. I know how to
use it, I am mostly wondering if anyone knows how the application determines
what sentences to use in the results of the Auto Summarize feature. Anybody
have any ideas or suggestions to use it better for me? Thanks!

Robert Stanke
www.robertstanke.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:13:04 -0800, Robert Stanke Robert
wrote:

I have a quick question I am hoping someone can help me out with. I am a
resume writer (that is really not the key thing here, but I want you to
better understand how I am using this function) and I often need to write
executive summaries for resumes. I want to use the Auto Summarize feature in
Word, but can someone explain to me how that feature works. I know how to
use it, I am mostly wondering if anyone knows how the application determines
what sentences to use in the results of the Auto Summarize feature. Anybody
have any ideas or suggestions to use it better for me? Thanks!

Robert Stanke
www.robertstanke.com

Hi Robert,

I did not know that such a function even existed, and so I
took a look.

In the help file, I found this:

AutoSummarize determines key points by analyzing the
document and assigning a score to each sentence. Sentences
that contain words used frequently in the document are given
a higher score. You then choose a percentage of the
highest-scoring sentences to display in the summary.

You can select whether to highlight key points in a
document, insert an executive summary or abstract at the top
of a document, create a new document and put the summary
there, or hide everything but the summary without leaving
the original document.

If you select to highlight key points or hide everything but
the summary you can switch between displaying only the key
points in a document (the rest of the document is hidden)
and highlighting them in the document. As you read, you can
also change the level of detail at any time.

That may get you started in thinking about that tool.

All the best,
--
Kenneth