Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PAS

Default Lost Document - Auto Saved File storage

Word closed without asking "do you want to save" and I have lost an important
document. And when word came back on, this version was not in Auto Recovery.
Auto save is set for every 10 minutes. But I cannot find the changed file
anywhere. Where are these files stored? Any tips for retrieval?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Russ

Auto-recovery files are typically stored in the same folder as the original
file. They are named by replacing the first two characters of the files name
with '~!' (tilde-bang).

Russ

"PAS" wrote:

Word closed without asking "do you want to save" and I have lost an important
document. And when word came back on, this version was not in Auto Recovery.
Auto save is set for every 10 minutes. But I cannot find the changed file
anywhere. Where are these files stored? Any tips for retrieval?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Those are NOT the AutoRecovery backup files but the owner files or other
temp files. AutoRecovery backups are saved in the folder specified for them
on the File Locations tab of Tools | Options.