Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BriRedhead BriRedhead is offline

Default Corrupt graphics positions in Word after save,shut down,reopen

In a 30 page document, in landscape orientation, 2x Columns, with a linked
image on most pages, in Word 2003_I am finding that the position of many
pictures and hence text become displaced, some times to an adjacent page.This
happens after I have saved my perfected work, closed Word and then reopened
later. Protecting the file before Save does not help. All the graphics are
linked to but not embedded to the file which is about 1.5 MB in size. The
graphics, photos mostly, are located in a directory adjacent to the *.doc
file.
I am trying to get the layout stable before converting to a PDF file but I
cannot edit seriously in that format .
The text formatting used is a simple regular scheme but I do find deciding
the best for each image difficult when the layout keeps jumping about.
Advice on the best strategy greatly appreciated-Otherwise my family will
never learn their history!
BriRedhead
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I'm guessing that you have the images inserted as In Line with Text. If so
you might try using other forms of Text Wrapping (Picture Toolbar,
FormatPicture or right-clickFormat Picture). If you are resizing and/or
cropping the images in Word that may be contributing to the behavior as
well.

Other options include putting the pictures in table cells or in Frames, but
those have their drawbacks & limitations as well. The fact also remains that
no matter what you do with the images they will continue to shift as long as
you continue to edit the text... Graphics in Word are always associated with
a text line or with a paragraph. As the text or paragraph to which it is
anchored moves, so goes the graphic.

Since you asked for
Advice on the best strategy

here it is - Avoid doing this type of project in Word. Use *any* page layout
program available to you, as they allow positioning your graphics on a
*page* & maneuvering the text accordingly. Word does not, as it has no idea
what a 'page' is. That doesn't mean starting over, as you would be able to
just remove the images from the existing doc, import (or 'place') the text
in a [Publisher, PageMaker, InDesign, etc.] file, and insert the images
accordingly.

If it *must* be done in Word, at least make sure that the images are
cropped, prepared to desired print size, resolution, etc. before inserting
them into the doc - the less tampering in Word, the better.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 7/14/06 5:19 AM, in article
, "BriRedhead"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BriRedhead BriRedhead is offline

Yes this was helpful in that it strongly reinforced my growing realisation
that one has to be vv disciplined in setting out my type of doc. I had got
into an almost unbreakable cycle of minor text adjusts to correct the jumpy
graphics and so on --- Fortunately I have just fixed the said file but am
looking seriously at a lowish cost programme along lines your suggestions.
Thanks again BriRedhead

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BettyKS BettyKS is offline

Try setting the problematic picture to text wrap - behind. I had all of mine
set for text wrap - tight and had the problem you've described. Once I
changed the problem picture as noted above, it stopped jumping.