SteveK

Default tilde over two letters

I am trying to write voltage ac as Vac with one tilde extending over the a
and c. Is there a way to do this in Word so that it stays connected to Vac
and moves with Vac when the document is edited?

SteveK

Bob Mathews

"SteveK" wrote:

I am trying to write voltage ac as Vac with one tilde extending
over
the a and c. Is there a way to do this in Word so that it
stays
connected to Vac and moves with Vac when the document is
edited?

Can't do it in Equation Editor, but you can in MathType. You can
get a 30-day evaluation copy of MathType at the link in my
signature.

-----
Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
SteveK

"SteveK" wrote in message
I am trying to write voltage ac as Vac with one tilde extending over the a
and c. Is there a way to do this in Word so that it stays connected to

Vac
and moves with Vac when the document is edited?

SteveK

Can I just insert an object that I draw, placing it over the "ac" and place
it in a way that it will move with the "ac" text?

Steve

Klaus Linke

"SteveK" wrote:
=20
"SteveK" wrote in message
I am trying to write voltage ac as Vac with one tilde extending over =

the a
and c. Is there a way to do this in Word so that it stays =

connected to
Vac
and moves with Vac when the document is edited?

SteveK

=20
Can I just insert an object that I draw, placing it over the "ac" and =

place
it in a way that it will move with the "ac" text?

You could try an eq field as described in Suzanne's article:
{ eq \o \ac (ac;~) }
You'd need do fiddle with the position (and maybe font size and/or =
scaling) of the ~ in "Format Font" (second tab) to make it look nice.

There's also a Unicode character, U+0360 =3D combining double tilde.
You can insert it between a and c by typing a, Alt+864, c.
But you're limited to large Unicode fonts, and the positioning of such =
combining diacritics often is far from perfect.

Regards,
Klaus

Klaus Linke

Forgot to change the field separator to an "English" comma:
V{ eq \o \ac (ac,~) }
and the link to Suzanne's article =
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Overbar.htm

Klaus
macropod

Hi Steve,

You can get an 'a' with a tilde over it (i.e. ã) by holding down the Alt key
whilst typing 0227 on the numeric keypad.
HTH

Cheers

"SteveK" wrote in message
I am trying to write voltage ac as Vac with one tilde extending over the a
and c. Is there a way to do this in Word so that it stays connected to

Vac
and moves with Vac when the document is edited?

SteveK

Amedee Van Gasse

Suzanne S. Barnhill shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

But he wants the tilde over "ac," not just "a."

Perhaps this is an existing character, in which case Unicode could be
used. Lets look it up, shall we?

(googles)

And indeed, there is an official character for alternating current:
Unicode character 223F (sine wave = alternating current).
Unfortunately I have not yet found a Windows font that correctly
represents this. The closest would be the the tilde (Unicode 007E)

If you're lucky, you can read this: U-223F can be entered with Alt+8767
(223F hex = 8767 dec). If you're unlucky, you see a small square.
ˆ¿

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

Stan Brown

On Mon, 9 May 2005 16:45:07 +0200, "Amedee Van Gasse"
wrote:

If you're lucky, you can read this: U-223F can be entered with Alt+8767
(223F hex = 8767 dec). If you're unlucky, you see a small square.
?

I must be middling lucky -- I see a question mark. :-)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"I feel a wave of morning sickness coming on, and I want to
be standing on your mother's grave when it hits."

macropod

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, I knew that, but I thought the OP might be able to make do with ã.

It's also possible to use ADVANCE fields to generate the ~ over the ac, as
in:
Vac{ADVANCE \l10 \u5}~{ADVANCE \r3 \d5}

Cheers

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But he wants the tilde over "ac," not just "a."

so
all may benefit.

"SteveK" wrote in message
I am trying to write voltage ac as Vac with one tilde extending over

and c. Is there a way to do this in Word so that it stays connected

Vac
and moves with Vac when the document is edited?

SteveK

Amedee Van Gasse

Suzanne S. Barnhill shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

"I feel a wave of morning sickness coming on, and I want to
be standing on your mother's grave when it hits."

Sounds like someone is a "Desperate Housewives" fan?

Sounds like someone actually watches this show?

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

Jim

On Mon, 9 May 2005 10:04:23 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

This character is present in Arial Unicode MS, but I don't see how that
helps with the original problem.

Where in Arial Unicode MS, Suzanne? I must be going blind(er), but I
can't find it in the character map. Is it someplace other than the
ANSI charset?

Blessed be, for sure...

Klaus Linke

"Jim" wrote:
Where in Arial Unicode MS, Suzanne? I must be going blind(er), but =

can't find it in the character map. Is it someplace other than the
ANSI charset?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Just where Amedee said it was, at glyph 223F, in the=20
Mathematical Operators character subset.

Or the combining double tilde, U+0360 (that I think I've mentioned =
further up in this thread, too).

Klaus