Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NES NES is offline

Default Inverting a list

Is there a simple way to automatically invert a list. That is...
changed to...
in a standard list format or in a table. I have frequent need of this in
page long lists. These lists are copied and pasted, so that generating line
numbers and sorting on those doesn't seem to work, unless I am doing it
wrong. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Norm Shimmel
Butler, PA
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Table sort works in tables and with paragraphs. You can set the sort to be
ascending of descending.

NES wrote:
Is there a simple way to automatically invert a list. That is...
changed to...
in a standard list format or in a table. I have frequent need of this
in page long lists. These lists are copied and pasted, so that
generating line numbers and sorting on those doesn't seem to work,
unless I am doing it wrong. Any help or suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NES NES is offline

Thanks for the reply.

The data is neither alphabetically nor numerically in order to begin with.
Sorting on that data would not give me what I need. If there were some way to
automate the SPIKE function in a backward fashion, that would work. s

The point of all of this is an item to item comparrison of data in another
list that I can't alter. With the lists going it opposite directions it makes
things a little more confusing for this old brain of mine.
--
Norm Shimmel
Butler, PA

NES wrote:
Is there a simple way to automatically invert a list. That is...
changed to...
in a standard list format or in a table. I have frequent need of this
in page long lists. These lists are copied and pasted, so that
generating line numbers and sorting on those doesn't seem to work,
unless I am doing it wrong. Any help or suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Select the list and add autonumbering.

Use the following macro to change the numbers to text

Sub NumbersAutoToText()
ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
End Sub

Sort the list in descending order then use replace to remove the numbers.

NES wrote:
Is there a simple way to automatically invert a list. That is...
changed to...
in a standard list format or in a table. I have frequent need of
this in page long lists. These lists are copied and pasted, so that
generating line numbers and sorting on those doesn't seem to work,
unless I am doing it wrong. Any help or suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NES NES is offline

Thank you very much. THis is a keeper.
--
Norm Shimmel
Butler, PA

NES wrote:
Is there a simple way to automatically invert a list. That is...
changed to...
in a standard list format or in a table. I have frequent need of
this in page long lists. These lists are copied and pasted, so that
generating line numbers and sorting on those doesn't seem to work,
unless I am doing it wrong. Any help or suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You are welcome

NES wrote:
Is there a simple way to automatically invert a list. That is...
changed to...
in a standard list format or in a table. I have frequent need of
this in page long lists. These lists are copied and pasted, so
that generating line numbers and sorting on those doesn't seem to
work, unless I am doing it wrong. Any help or suggestions would
be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Inverting text in text boxes cohikergal Page Layout 1 September 22nd 06 06:15 AM
Inverting a Table of Contents (similar to pivot table) [email protected] Formatting Long Documents 1 September 21st 06 10:27 PM
Inverting text LHM Microsoft Word Help 2 November 21st 05 06:48 AM
Word 2003 replaces list of tables when inserting list of figures kburns New Users 1 May 24th 05 11:00 PM
Import Outlook 2003 distribution list to mail merger recipents list xfile Mailmerge 3 January 25th 05 07:16 PM