Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gerda Schilling[_2_] Gerda Schilling[_2_] is offline

Default Cannot open a Word file on a network drive

I saved a document on a network drive and obviously when the first person
open it, the doc is fine. For the second person it opened as read-only and
for the third person an error occurs that the file does not exist or the
folder is invalid.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Only one person can open and have control of a file at a time. Word is not a
multi-user system. If others cannot open the document normally, then you
need to check the file permissions of all of you as the lock files do not
appear to be released when the document is closed.

Gerda Schilling wrote:
I saved a document on a network drive and obviously when the first
person open it, the doc is fine. For the second person it opened as
read-only and for the third person an error occurs that the file does
not exist or the folder is invalid.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gerda Schilling[_2_] Gerda Schilling[_2_] is offline

All of the user has Full Control permissions. I experience this only with
Word 2007 and not with the older versions

Gerda Schilling wrote:
I saved a document on a network drive and obviously when the first
person open it, the doc is fine. For the second person it opened as
read-only and for the third person an error occurs that the file does
not exist or the folder is invalid.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To repeat: only one person can have a document open for editing *at one
time.* What you are experiencing is normal if two or more users are trying
to open the file simultaneously. If one is opening and closing it, and then
another is unable to open it for editing, then this would not be normal.

"Gerda Schilling" wrote in
message ...

Gerda Schilling wrote:
I saved a document on a network drive and obviously when the first
person open it, the doc is fine. For the second person it opened as
read-only and for the third person an error occurs that the file does
not exist or the folder is invalid.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amy S Amy S is offline

I understand that only one person at a time can open the file for editing,
however in previous versions, if I tried to open a file that someone else us
already using, I would be prompted letting me know the file was already
opened and given the option to "Open as Read-Only or Open a copy."

Now it simply gives the message "Filename cannot be found. Please check your
spelling or the path"