Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lex S Lex S is offline

Default Field Linking Question

This is a 2 parter:

1) How do I link to a word/text file and ensure that if I edit the text in
the main word file that it saves to the linked file and I will not lose the
data. So far if I edit the linked text it doesnt seem to save to the linked
file and lose it upon reopening it.

2) Is it possible to have the link text inside a field with a scroll bar?
The link text can be many pages but the main document I want to only be a
page and the link text can be scrolled through when read in word and not
increase the length of the file (number of pages).

Using Word 2003. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Lex:

1. If the link is via an INCLUDETEXT field, and you're trying to edit it in the target document, then to save the changes back to
the source document you should select the field and press Ctrl-Shift-F7.

2. No. As an alternative, you could bookmark just a portion of the file and use the INCLUDETEXT field to pull in just the bookmarked
portion, and supplement this with a hyperlink that will open the full document. Or you use just a hyperlink on its own.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Lex S" Lex wrote in message ...
This is a 2 parter:

1) How do I link to a word/text file and ensure that if I edit the text in
the main word file that it saves to the linked file and I will not lose the
data. So far if I edit the linked text it doesnt seem to save to the linked
file and lose it upon reopening it.

2) Is it possible to have the link text inside a field with a scroll bar?
The link text can be many pages but the main document I want to only be a
page and the link text can be scrolled through when read in word and not
increase the length of the file (number of pages).

Using Word 2003. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lex S[_2_] Lex S[_2_] is offline

Thank you. This answered my question unfortunatly the answer creates new
problems.

Is it possible to have slightly dynamic bookmarks? Im not familiar with
them. Lets say I want the bookmark, in this case the items that will apear on
my main document, to only be the latest 2 entries to the linked file. It can
best newest two sentences, top two under a heading, etc.

Is anything like this possible or will I need to modify the bookmark
everytime new data is entered to the file? The idea was for the document to
be usable by somebody who didnt need to know the innerworkings of such things
and know how to constantly update the book mark.

"Lex S" Lex wrote in message ...
This is a 2 parter:

1) How do I link to a word/text file and ensure that if I edit the text in
the main word file that it saves to the linked file and I will not lose the
data. So far if I edit the linked text it doesnt seem to save to the linked
file and lose it upon reopening it.

2) Is it possible to have the link text inside a field with a scroll bar?
The link text can be many pages but the main document I want to only be a
page and the link text can be scrolled through when read in word and not
increase the length of the file (number of pages).

Using Word 2003. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Lex,

No, you can't have a bookmark re-position itself that way - it'd have to be updated manually in the source document.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Lex S" Lex wrote in message ...
This is a 2 parter:

1) How do I link to a word/text file and ensure that if I edit the text in
the main word file that it saves to the linked file and I will not lose the
data. So far if I edit the linked text it doesnt seem to save to the linked
file and lose it upon reopening it.

2) Is it possible to have the link text inside a field with a scroll bar?
The link text can be many pages but the main document I want to only be a
page and the link text can be scrolled through when read in word and not
increase the length of the file (number of pages).

Using Word 2003. Thank you.

Linking my database to a word document field... Raymond Microsoft Word Help 1 February 13th 07 02:28 AM
Linking to a Field SV Page Layout 4 January 3rd 07 07:25 PM
MS WORD - Linking a field in footer to a field in the document - Help SpaceApe Microsoft Word Help 4 September 22nd 05 06:19 AM
MS WORD - Linking a field in footer to a field in the document - Help [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 0 September 21st 05 12:16 PM
Linking "SaveDate" Field to another document Possomeye Microsoft Word Help 1 July 28th 05 05:38 AM