Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vincent

Default SOS! Word not responding

Office 2003, windows xp, all updated.

problem1: open a word file, try to insert a pic from file, word hangup, have
to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to end task. It said: not responding.

Problem2: open outlook express, find an email with word attach, open word
file, can not save as, can not insert a pic from file. When I click on save
as, Word hangup, have to use Ctrl+Alt+del to quit.

Re-install Office from orignal CD twice. Also tried to use remove
application from control pannel, and tried to remove office from installation
CD, and del all the office folders from application folder and local settings
folder. No Help.

Any idea?

Thanks a ton!

Vincent
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

See "Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install
security update MS06-015"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165

--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Vincent" wrote:

Office 2003, windows xp, all updated.

problem1: open a word file, try to insert a pic from file, word hangup, have
to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to end task. It said: not responding.

Problem2: open outlook express, find an email with word attach, open word
file, can not save as, can not insert a pic from file. When I click on save
as, Word hangup, have to use Ctrl+Alt+del to quit.

Re-install Office from orignal CD twice. Also tried to use remove
application from control pannel, and tried to remove office from installation
CD, and del all the office folders from application folder and local settings
folder. No Help.

Any idea?

Thanks a ton!

Vincent

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vincent

Thanks, Carol.

I added the new DWORD, the problem is still there.

Thanks for apply.

Vincent

"Vincent" wrote:

Office 2003, windows xp, all updated.

problem1: open a word file, try to insert a pic from file, word hangup, have
to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to end task. It said: not responding.

Problem2: open outlook express, find an email with word attach, open word
file, can not save as, can not insert a pic from file. When I click on save
as, Word hangup, have to use Ctrl+Alt+del to quit.

Re-install Office from orignal CD twice. Also tried to use remove
application from control pannel, and tried to remove office from installation
CD, and del all the office folders from application folder and local settings
folder. No Help.

Any idea?

Thanks a ton!

Vincent

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In that case, you may have no recourse but to uninstall the update. The
DWORD is targeted at the HP Scan-to-Web software. I'm told that certain
NVIDIA video drivers also cause a problem, and this is supposed to be added
to the KB article but as yet has not been added. If you have experience in
scoping out the Registry, you may be able to find these shell extensions and
add them to the Cached folder in the same way.

news

"Vincent" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vincent

Thank you, Suzanne,

I have 2 questions:

1. How can I uninstall the update? Do I need to change my registry?

2. If I uninstall the update, is it danger to my system, like virus attack
or hacker attack?

Thanks again.

Vincent

"Vincent" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs| check Show Updates and scroll down
until you find KB908351 and remove it. You will be no more vulnerable than
you were before the hotfix was installed.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Vincent" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tmele

Vincent, Carol,
None of the fixes that I have tried worked.....the only way I can work is to
remove the KB908531 update. It reloads every time the automatic update runs.

Will I have to do this on a daily basis forever?

--
Thanks, T. Mele

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case, you may have no recourse but to uninstall the update. The
DWORD is targeted at the HP Scan-to-Web software. I'm told that certain
NVIDIA video drivers also cause a problem, and this is supposed to be added
to the KB article but as yet has not been added. If you have experience in
scoping out the Registry, you may be able to find these shell extensions and
add them to the Cached folder in the same way.

news Thanks, Carol.

"Vincent" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, tomorrow's update is supposed to solve the problem.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case, you may have no recourse but to uninstall the update.

The
DWORD is targeted at the HP Scan-to-Web software. I'm told that

certain
NVIDIA video drivers also cause a problem, and this is supposed to

be added
to the KB article but as yet has not been added. If you have

experience in
scoping out the Registry, you may be able to find these shell

extensions and
add them to the Cached folder in the same way.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news Thanks, Carol.

"Vincent" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Do you have an HP scanner, camera, or printer with a buit-in card reader?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case, you may have no recourse but to uninstall the update.
The
DWORD is targeted at the HP Scan-to-Web software. I'm told that
certain
NVIDIA video drivers also cause a problem, and this is supposed to be
added
to the KB article but as yet has not been added. If you have
experience in
scoping out the Registry, you may be able to find these shell
extensions and
add them to the Cached folder in the same way.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news Thanks, Carol.

"Vincent" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tmele

No, but I have 3 different HP Photosmart printer drivers installed and use
depending on where I am working on a particular day.

I hope the response by Suzanne Barnhill was correct and the fix today will
fix the problem. I will let you know either way. Thanks
--
Thanks, T. Mele

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case, you may have no recourse but to uninstall the update.
The
DWORD is targeted at the HP Scan-to-Web software. I'm told that
certain
NVIDIA video drivers also cause a problem, and this is supposed to be
added
to the KB article but as yet has not been added. If you have
experience in
scoping out the Registry, you may be able to find these shell
extensions and
add them to the Cached folder in the same way.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news Thanks, Carol.