Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Default Can't remove highlighting

Something's wrong with my Highlight button.

I've got yellow highlighting on a section of text. I select the text and
click "Highlight (No Highlight)". Nothing happens - it's still yellow.

I can change the highlighting to other colors. But I can't remove it.

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Are you sure it's Highlighting & not Paragraph Shading?

If that isn't the solution you'll have to indicate what version of Word &
Windows as well as any other details about the document that may be helpful.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/21/08 12:37 PM, in article
, "Eric"
wrote:

Something's wrong with my Highlight button.

I've got yellow highlighting on a section of text. I select the text and
click "Highlight (No Highlight)". Nothing happens - it's still yellow.

I can change the highlighting to other colors. But I can't remove it.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Sorry - I forgot to say it's Word 2003.

The button on the toolbar has an "ab" and a swoosh on it, and when I put the
mouse button over it, it reads "Highlight (No Highlight)". That's what I
called "highlighting".

There's nothing special about the document, as far as I know.

When I display the Reveal Formatting Pane, it shows "Shading: Pattern: Clear
(Yellow)".

I can remove the yellow with Format / Borders and Shading. I can also remove
the yellow highlight with Clear Formatting on the Styles and Formatting pane.
However, I've always been able to use the "highlight" button to remove the
shading, and now I can't.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

wrote:

Something's wrong with my Highlight button.

I've got yellow highlighting on a section of text. I select the text and
click "Highlight (No Highlight)". Nothing happens - it's still yellow.

I can change the highlighting to other colors. But I can't remove it.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Thanks. I've never understood that very well.

I thought I originally applied the yellow highlighting using the Highlight
button, but I may be wrong.

Is there any way to access highlighting except by that button? As far as I
can tell, it's not part of font formatting.

wrote:

Something's wrong with my Highlight button.

I've got yellow highlighting on a section of text. I select the text
and
click "Highlight (No Highlight)". Nothing happens - it's still yellow.

I can change the highlighting to other colors. But I can't remove it.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

At some points I think Highlight may have been on the Format menu. It is
possible to apply shading to text using the Shading Color (paint bucket)
button on the Tables and Borders toolbar, so it's conceivable the shading
was applied that way.

wrote:

Something's wrong with my Highlight button.

I've got yellow highlighting on a section of text. I select the text
and
click "Highlight (No Highlight)". Nothing happens - it's still
yellow.

I can change the highlighting to other colors. But I can't remove
it.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Both highlighting and shading can be cleared by hitting Ctrl+spacebar. Though
you have to be careful that you are not also clearing manual formatting that
you want.

The ability to shade text is new to W2003, I think. So this is kind of a new
problem. I first encountered it when the macro I recorded to highlight text,
shaded it instead.

PamC

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
At some points I think Highlight may have been on the Format menu. It is
possible to apply shading to text using the Shading Color (paint bucket)
button on the Tables and Borders toolbar, so it's conceivable the shading
was applied that way.

Thanks. I've never understood that very well.

[quoted text clipped - 60 lines]

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can't imagine that it's new to Word 2003, but I haven't used it, so I
can't swear it was present in earlier versions. Certainly the ability to
apply a border to selected text goes back farther than that.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
At some points I think Highlight may have been on the Format menu. It is
possible to apply shading to text using the Shading Color (paint bucket)
button on the Tables and Borders toolbar, so it's conceivable the shading
was applied that way.

Thanks. I've never understood that very well.

[quoted text clipped - 60 lines]

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

We've been able to shade whole paragraphs for quite a while, but not just a
word of two of of text. that is pretty new.

Pam

PamC wrote:
Both highlighting and shading can be cleared by hitting Ctrl+spacebar. Though
you have to be careful that you are not also clearing manual formatting that
you want.

The ability to shade text is new to W2003, I think. So this is kind of a new
problem. I first encountered it when the macro I recorded to highlight text,
shaded it instead.

PamC

At some points I think Highlight may have been on the Format menu. It is
possible to apply shading to text using the Shading Color (paint bucket)

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

Any suggestions?