Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shortcakes Shortcakes is offline

Default "Permissions" problem

I saved a memo in Word 2003 on my home computer, which has Office 2003. I
then tried to drag and drop it to my CD-R drive. Instead I managed to drop
it into another drive and into a folder. I found it by doing a file search,
but now it won't let me do anything with it.

When I try to open it, I get a little window that says: "Word can not open
the document. User does not have access priviliges". It appears to be a
"permissions" thing, but I don't know where to find that stuff. (I know just
enough about computers to be dangerous)

I know that at work we have "Administrators" and that they are the only ones
who have "permission" to do stuff to our computers. I didn't set up anything
on my computer like that though (it is 3 years old).

Is there anything I can do to get this memo back? I just want to put it on
a CD to take to work.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

From what you describe it sounds like you *can* open the folder that
contains the file. If that's the case, don't try to open it - just drag it
to a 'more friendly' environment (like the Desktop). If double-clicking
doesn't open the file, try using Word's FileOpen command.

If none of this helps post back indicating the version of Windows & the
actual name of the folder (preferably the complete path) where you originaly
"dropped" the file.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Shortcakes" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shortcakes Shortcakes is offline

Thank you for your reply. Dragging the folder was something I hadn't tried.
Unfortunately that didn't work either. When I tried, got a window titled:
Error Copying File or Folder. then it said: Cannot copy "HMP memo to Branch
Chief" (this is my memo): access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full
or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

The folder is a strange one. It's is
E:/39a9826303b359780dc6 (E: is my second hard drive) There are other
folders in it labeled "common" , "sp1" , and "sp2" , and another
file labeled "xpsp1hfm.exe" (none of which can be opened)

I have Windows XP Home Edition

"CyberTaz" wrote:

From what you describe it sounds like you *can* open the folder that
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Sorry I wasn't more clear - I meant open the folder & drag the file to
another location.

If that still doesn't work I'm afraid you've stumbled into an issue which is
more OS related than Word related. You've probably dumped the file into some
sort of protected folder. You might try right-clicking the folder to go to
its Properties & see if there is a check for Read Only that you can remove.
Or - in the same menu - choose Sharing & Security, look on the General page
for the same checkbox and the Sharing page for Make this folder private.

Beyond that I don't know what to suggest. You might post your dilemma in a
Win XP group - I'm sure someone there will be more familiar with what's
going on.

"Shortcakes" wrote in message
Thank you for your reply. Dragging the folder was something I hadn't
tried.
Unfortunately that didn't work either. When I tried, got a window
titled:
Error Copying File or Folder. then it said: Cannot copy "HMP memo to
Branch
Chief" (this is my memo): access is denied. Make sure the disk is not
full
or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

The folder is a strange one. It's is
E:/39a9826303b359780dc6 (E: is my second hard drive) There are other
folders in it labeled "common" , "sp1" , and "sp2" , and another
file labeled "xpsp1hfm.exe" (none of which can be opened)

I have Windows XP Home Edition

From what you describe it sounds like you *can* open the folder that