Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BorisS BorisS is offline

Default "roundtrip" cross-referencing

I go through legal docs often, and would like to, as I read them, convert
internal references to links, so that I can jump back and forth. My ideal
scenario with each link set is to have the following scenario:

1) link on the wording of the section to which to link, as in "in Section
6.1 blah blah blah", would have 'Section 6.1' as a link (just a matter of
highlighting the €˜section 6.1 part, I know)
2) the link takes me to the start of 6.1
3) when at 6.1, would like to have an automatically placed link that can
take me back to the place from which I came

kicker is that there may be multiple places from which I have reference TO
6.1, so once I get to 6.1 from any of those places, ideally would like to
have a €œgo back€ sort of link, which takes me back to where I was reading. I
can envision either that the functionality already exists, in which case I
just need to be directed to where this sort of €œback referencing€ is; or
alternatively if it doesnt exist, and ideas of a macro that can reside in
the normal.dot which would effectively track the link generation point, and
then have a button/shortcut that would take me back to where it started.
Hope that makes sense. Any ideas for best ways to accomplish this
(including macro text, if appropriate and the only way) would be appreciated.

--
Boris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

Regardless of which version of Word you are using there is an easy way to do
what you want to do:

Insert a bookmark with the insertion point within "Section 6.1"; don't put
it before the "S" or it could end up in the wrong place when you edit

Select "in Section 6.1 blah..." and insert a hyperlink to the bookmark you
just created.

You may want to redefine the Hyperlink and Followed Hyperlink character
styles that are automatically applied to hyperlinks and followed hyperlinks
if you don't like the appearance.

Just click or CTRL + click the hyperlink to move to the beginning of Section
6.1 and navigate back as Suzanne said.

"BorisS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

You could also insert a hyperlinked cross-reference to selected bookmarked
text so long as your references are only to content in the active document.
Hyperlinks have the added advantage of being able to link to bookmarks in
other documents, etc.

"BorisS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BorisS BorisS is offline

thanks for the help. in what instances are hyperlinks better, and what
instances are cross-references better? Guess I'm not seeing the difference,
other than when I try to use cross-reference, I cannot select which text to
display, meaning I have to change the text that appears in the originating
launch point to whatever the text is at the destination, or so it seems this
way (maybe I'm misusing).
--
Boris

"BorisS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

I think you'll see the difference clearly if you look carefully through the
Insert Cross-reference dialog box; there are far more flexible. I rely far
more on hyperlinks than on cross-references because you can hyperlink to
bookmarked text or a bookmarked position in another document; you can only
create cross-references within the same document.

If you're going to use a cross-reference to a bookmark and want to display
the bookmarked test, you need to select all the text you want to display in
the cross-reference when you create the bookmark. Then in the
cross-reference, choose bookmark and bookmark text.

"BorisS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BorisS BorisS is offline

so to be clear, I want to make sure I am understanding a (slightly) mixed
message). Sounds like in your case, you like hyperlinks primarily because
they can go to other document locations. But cross references otherwise are
more robust.

And in the case of cross-references, I'd love to try them, only I cannot
find help text on them in the help file, as crazy as it sounds. Using '07,
and typing cross reference brings up primarily charting help. I would love
to understand the different options. For example, you made it sound like I
had a choice of which text to display when linking to a bmark. Reality is on
my end I can only seem to get it to display the text of what the bookmark
covers (i.e., if bookmark is on text "this is a test", then when I link to
the bookmark as a cross reference, "this is a test" shows up). What I would
like is to cross to "this is a test" bookmark, and have "john" show up as the
text on which to click, for example (or basically anything I want printed,
not the original text). Don't know how to do this, nor how to find the help
on it.
--
Boris

"BorisS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

What you want to do (that is, have flexibility in the text to be displayed),
use hyperlinks. Type whatever text you want to be displayed in the hyperlink,
select the text and create the hyperlink; later you can easily change the
text to be displayed in the Insert Hyperlink dialog box or in the text
displayed in the document itself. If the display of the text is displayed,
redefine they Hyperlink and Followed Hyperlink character styles.

I did not mean to imply that cross-references are more robust; they are more
flexible as to what you can link to and in general what content can be
displayed. Unfortunately, what you want to do cannot, to my knowledge, be
handled by a cross-reference. Your comment about cross-referencing to a
bookmark is exactly right (you get the text contained in the bookmark).

Admittedly, Word 2007 Help is woefully inadequate. Re cross-references, read
the following re Word 2000 (not much has changed) and 2003:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/268711/en-us
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...866801033.aspx

Re hyperlinks, read the following also re Word 2000 and 2003:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211955/en-us
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HyperlinkProbs.htm