Hélène

Default French/English/French & Decimal Tabs

Hello,

Here's a tough one: I am trying to create two tables in one document
(XP/2003). One table would show numbers in French (format: 1 765,67 $).
The other table would show numbers in English (format: $1,567.89). ALSO I
need to indicate my negative numbers in brakets.

Fun, no? Anyway, I changed the regional settings to French and my French
table is beautiful but... as soon as I start entering English numbers, well,
huh-huh, the decimal tabs align on whatever comes first, either the coma or
the period.

Is there a way to indicate to Word that my document is displaying English
and French numbers?

Thank you.

Hélène
Word Heretic

G'day "Hélène" ,

Try defining two styles, Body Text French and Body Text English. Set
the language of those styles appropriately. You MAY have some luck but
I doubt. You would have to resort to hard formatting.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

Hélène reckoned:

Hello,

Here's a tough one: I am trying to create two tables in one document
(XP/2003). One table would show numbers in French (format: 1 765,67 $).
The other table would show numbers in English (format: $1,567.89). ALSO I
need to indicate my negative numbers in brakets.

Fun, no? Anyway, I changed the regional settings to French and my French
table is beautiful but... as soon as I start entering English numbers, well,
huh-huh, the decimal tabs align on whatever comes first, either the coma or
the period.

Is there a way to indicate to Word that my document is displaying English
and French numbers?

Thank you.

Hélène

Hélène

Oh, goodness, I was so hoping it would do the trick but, no...

Even when I do the "hard" formatting, it does not work. The tab stops at
the first comma it encounters, therefore ignoring the period that separate
dollars and cents. I need to find a way to bypass the Regional settings in
Office XP.

Any idea?

Thank you.

Hélène

"Word Heretic" wrote:

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SMOpbMOobmU=?=,

Even when I do the "hard" formatting, it does not work. The tab stops at
the first comma it encounters, therefore ignoring the period that separate
dollars and cents. I need to find a way to bypass the Regional settings in
Office XP.

Unfortunately, there is no way to bypass Windows Regional settings in Word.
Your only choices are
- type the formatting manually
- use a macro to force the formatting

I'd be inclined to say: choose a non-proportional font for the table content,
with right-alignment (or a right-aligned tab stop).

Another possible approach would be to break the numbers in two columns, one
right-, the other left-aligned. You can reduce the cell margins and remove any
borders so that the appearance would be acceptable.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Hélène

Thank you for yet another good suggestion. Finally, the answer is this:
create a macro that will let you change the Windows Regional Settings
directly from Word.

It works wonders!

Hélène

Hi ?B?SMOpbMOobmU=?=,