Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Derrick Krakau Derrick Krakau is offline

Default Formatting different between two computers...

I have two users in my office. They have identical computers physically.
There are some differences between the normal.dot files though. When one
opens a document that the other created it looks drastically different.

I have read the "its the printer" concept, but it doesn't do it for
everything. They are using styles to do most of the formating. One example
of what happend was a block quote section on one document did not appear
indented when opened on the others computer.

Thanks much,

Derrick Krakau
Systems Admin
FF&SJ

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The appearance of the document should not be affected by Normal.dot or any
other attached template unless the template/document is set to
"Automatically update document styles." See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/shar...matChange.html

"Derrick Krakau" wrote in message
I have two users in my office. They have identical computers physically.
There are some differences between the normal.dot files though. When one
opens a document that the other created it looks drastically different.

I have read the "its the printer" concept, but it doesn't do it for
everything. They are using styles to do most of the formating. One

example
of what happend was a block quote section on one document did not appear
indented when opened on the others computer.

Thanks much,

Derrick Krakau
Systems Admin
FF&SJ

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Please read this:

http://shaunakelly.com/word/sharing/...matChange.html

I suspect the Automatically Update Document Styles check box is checked.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Derrick Krakau Derrick Krakau is offline

I have checked both computers and the Update Document Styles check box is
NOT checked on either computer.

I still think it has something to do with styles but I am not seeing the
possible causes. Any other suggestions?

Thanks so far,
Derrick

"Bear" (nospam) wrote in message
Please read this:

http://shaunakelly.com/word/sharing/...matChange.html

I suspect the Automatically Update Document Styles check box is checked.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Derrick:

The only other wrinkle I can think of has to do ONLY with the bulleted or
numbered lists, where the appearance of lists on machine B may depend on how
user B has edited his gallery settings (the individual panes in the Format
Bullets and Numbering dialog box) during the current session.

There are few other possibilities when it comes to style problems. The
definition of a style really is preserved in a document if that Automatically
Update Document Styles check box is cleared.

To utterly eliminate the possibility of the Normal.dot file causing
conflicts, why not experiment by saving user B's Normal.dot (say as
Normal.bak) and copying user A's Normal.dot onto user B's machine. Open the
document and see if the same differences appear or not.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000