Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Alan Alan is offline

Default Mail Merge - Filter and Paging

(1) I am generally OK with Word and can use the filter on Mail merge to
select data entries, howevr if I mark an entry in Works Database and tab down
to mark in the Mail merge filter. There is nothing I can put in "comparison"
or "compare" and I cannot select marked entries.
(2) I have used Mail merge to produce 8 pages of mailing labels onto Avery
J8160 sheets. The final Word document produces 8 sections not pages, which is
extremely inconvenient. I can't undersatnd why this does not behave like a
normal Word document, and I have spent alot of time with"page setup" trying
to produce 8 pages not sections. Can anyone help?
Regards, Alan Blackburn
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

1. The Works database is only marginally compatible with Word - and even
then only if you have the problematic Works add-in installed. You would do
better to export the database to a format that Word can use without this
crutch - probably dbase format or comma delimited text..

2. You will not change the behaviour of the merge to produce a document
comprising of Pages instead of Sections. In any case there is nothing in the
nature of the document that should cause you any problems whatsoever. You
can treat the Sections in just the same way as Pages.

Alan wrote:
(1) I am generally OK with Word and can use the filter on Mail merge
to select data entries, however if I mark an entry in Works Database
and tab down to mark in the Mail merge filter. There is nothing I can
put in "comparison" or "compare" and I cannot select marked entries.
(2) I have used Mail merge to produce 8 pages of mailing labels onto
Avery J8160 sheets. The final Word document produces 8 sections not
pages, which is extremely inconvenient. I can't understand why this
does not behave like a normal Word document, and I have spent alot of
time with"page setup" trying to produce 8 pages not sections. Can
anyone help?
Regards, Alan Blackburn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Alan Alan is offline

Thank you for your prompt and very helpful reply. Such help for me is
invaluable to someone like me.
I will try dbase and see if it is better. Works in some ways is historic
although I still find some features excellent.

Regards, Alan Blackburn