Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott[_3_] Scott[_3_] is offline

Default Word 2007

I am using Office 2007 and would like to use a formatting like the
following.

Create a table of contents. It does not mean using table of contents in
Word. Just create a bullet points on the top.

The bullet points are linked to a particular location of the document to
explain it in detail. Just click the bullet point and goes to that
particular location.

Upon completion of reading, click somewhere to go back to the contents of
table.

I am unsure the name of this feature but see lots of documents like this
especially on the web. Can someone advise how to construct such documents.

Thanks,

Scottt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

What you are describing is a table of contents (minus the page numbers). On
the References tab, click Table of Contents, and then click Insert Table of
Contents. In the dialog box, clear the "Show page numbers" option.

If you want to modify the formatting of the TOC entries, click the Modify
button, and make the desired changes. When you are done, click OK.

Click OK to insert the TOC. It will be hyperlinked by default.

For an easy way to return to the TOC, add the Go To TOC command to the Quick
Access Toolbar (use Office button | Word Options, Customize).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Scott" wrote in message
I am using Office 2007 and would like to use a formatting like the
following.

Create a table of contents. It does not mean using table of contents in
Word. Just create a bullet points on the top.

The bullet points are linked to a particular location of the document to
explain it in detail. Just click the bullet point and goes to that
particular location.

Upon completion of reading, click somewhere to go back to the contents of
table.

I am unsure the name of this feature but see lots of documents like this
especially on the web. Can someone advise how to construct such
documents.

Thanks,

Scottt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott[_3_] Scott[_3_] is offline

Stefan,

Thanks for your guidance. I can follow all of them except:-

Click OK to insert the TOC. It will be hyperlinked by default.

After I insert the TOC, "No table of contents entries found." appears. How
can I enter the bullet point statement and the linked paragraph of the
detail of that staement?

In case of two TOCs in one document, how can I identify which one I am using
since this is not really a traditional TOC?

Scott

"Stefan Blom" ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...

"Scott" wrote in message
I am using Office 2007 and would like to use a formatting like the
following.

Create a table of contents. It does not mean using table of contents in
Word. Just create a bullet points on the top.

The bullet points are linked to a particular location of the document to
explain it in detail. Just click the bullet point and goes to that
particular location.

Upon completion of reading, click somewhere to go back to the contents of
table.

I am unsure the name of this feature but see lots of documents like this
especially on the web. Can someone advise how to construct such
documents.

Thanks,

Scottt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott[_3_] Scott[_3_] is offline

Suzanne,

Thanks for your kind advice that helps me to find out Style base on List
bullet.

Scott

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...

"Scott" wrote in message
I am using Office 2007 and would like to use a formatting like the
following.

Create a table of contents. It does not mean using table of contents in
Word. Just create a bullet points on the top.

The bullet points are linked to a particular location of the document to
explain it in detail. Just click the bullet point and goes to that
particular location.

Upon completion of reading, click somewhere to go back to the contents of
table.

I am unsure the name of this feature but see lots of documents like this
especially on the web. Can someone advise how to construct such
documents.

Thanks,

Scottt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The entries to be included in the TOC need to be headings or have an outline
level other than Body Text. See
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html. If that isn't
practical, you can create a TOC based on "table entry fields" (TC fields).