Opening older version password protected documents with Word

Old March 21st 08, 11:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zebjohnson

Default Opening older version password protected documents with Word

I have serveral old documents created by earlier versions of Word and even
WordPerfect documents that were converted to Word. I don't recall having
problems with conversions in prior updates, but when I installed Office 2003
a couple of years ago, suddenly I cannot open some of these documents. I
receive the error message "cannot convert a passwork protected document". Is
the only solution to reinstall Word '97 which I think was the version I used
prior to the update?
Old March 22nd 08, 05:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193545,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810 and
http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=519 .