Formatting a merge field that contains both text and numbers

Old February 2nd 10, 03:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Drew

Default Formatting a merge field that contains both text and numbers

I have a field that merges both text and a number to my document. I'd like
to supress the number and keep the text.

I'd like to go from this:
Text-123-45-6789
to this:
Text

Any suggestions? Thanks

Old February 2nd 10, 09:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_]

Hi Drew,

Mailmerge can't do that. You'll need to separate the data at its source and merge just the part you need.

--
Cheers
macropod

Old February 3rd 10, 12:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

If the number is always of the format -###-##-####, after executing the
merge to a new document, you could to a Wildcard Replace that replaces

-[0-9]{3}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{4}

with nothing.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

Old February 3rd 10, 04:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_]

Hi Doug,

If the document has that kind of info elsewhere (eg because the full string is required in a particular location), one couldn't use
the 'Replace All' option - every instance would have to be stepped through. Conversely, if there is always a particular string
before/after the expression from which the numbers need to be deleted that doesn't appear elsewhere in the document, the
Find/Replace parameters could be modified to suit the 'Replace All' option.

--
Cheers
macropod

Old February 3rd 10, 09:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

What is the data source?

Are you in a position to use VBA code?

Peter Jamieson