Inserting and maintaining a blank page

Old June 23rd 05, 10:52 AM
Steve

Default Inserting and maintaining a blank page

Hi,

I'm about to format my PhD thesis and need a little help please.

I've written a large body of text which refers to figures throughout. I need
to insert a blank page for the figure after the first mention of the figure
in the text. This page will have the figure legend title on it so that when I
format the figures table, it will display the figure title and the correct
page number.

So far I have done this by inserting a section break where I want the figure
to display, then again at the end of the blank page. This is fine if I then
make no more changes. However, if I insert more text before the section
break, then new text moves onto the blank page, and the section break at the
end of the blank page moves onto the next text page. This is of course s
chain reaction and disrupts the formatting of the entire documnent.

So my question is (still with me?), how can I insert a blank page, which
still is part of the document with regards to page numbers, but which the
text will "flow past" if I add more text or remove text. I guess this is
similar to imbedding an image in a document.

Any suggestions would be very welcome as I hope to format it this weekend.

thanks

Old June 23rd 05, 04:42 PM
CyberTaz

Hi Steve-

AFAIK you can't. Word simply doesn't work that way. The program deals
strictly with a continuous text flow and simply recognizes where breaks are
required for display & print purposes. In other words, there are no physical
pages to anchor to a specific position in the document.

Good Luck |:)

Old June 23rd 05, 05:14 PM

As CyberTaz says, you can't really do this. What you *can* do is wait until
editing is complete before trying to insert the figures at all. Then,
instead of trying to create a "blank page" (using page or section breaks),
insert a single-cell borderless table with the row height set to the height
of the text area. Put your figure caption there (using the vertical
alignment controls in the table cell or Space Before to position it).