Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lisa

Default "Keep with Next" and/or "Keep Lines Together" not working

What am I doing wrong? I have a question/answer-type document in Word. I do
not want page breaks occuring between the pairs of Q&A paragraphs. Breaking
the paragraphs themselves is fine, I just don't want the page break happening
right in between Question and the Answer. (By the way, these are fairly
large paragraphs, averaging ten or more lines apiece.) So I highlight the
last line of the first paragraph through the first line of the second
paragraph, go into paragraph formatting, and select "Keep with next." Then I
hit "Okay." Boing! It sends the ENTIRE first paragraph onto the next page,
as if I'd had "Keep Lines Together" selected in the formatting. But I don't
have it selected! I don't want them kept together! How do I make it stop
when it's already NOT selected??? Widow/Orphan control is on, if that makes
a difference. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
garfield-n-odie

Trying formatting the Q paragraphs as "Keep lines together" and
"Keep with next", and the A paragraphs as "Keep lines together"
only.

Lisa wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Keep with next.
Put your cursor in the paragraph you want to keep with the next one. Format
Paragraph

You do not need or want both paragraphs selected unless you want this to
apply to both.

I create a question style that has this formatting. The style for the
following paragraph is my answer style.

For multiple guess questions, I have an answer style that also has this
formatting for all except the last answer. Then I have a derivative style
for the last one that is the same except it does not have keep with next
formatting.

If your question is less than four lines, it should be kept on the same page
by widow and orphan settings. Sometimes you get big jumps because you have
multiple paragraphs all formatted as keep-with-next.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Lisa" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lisa

Your suggestion to refrain from highlighting the second paragraph makes
sense. I'll remember that in the future. Unfortunately, I tried doing it
that way in this document, and it's still taking the entire first paragraph
down to the next page. I don't have "keep with next" selected anywhere else
in the document, so it's not that.

Any more ideas? I'm at a loss as to why it's doing this.

Thanks.

"Lisa" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This is behavior that I consider a bug in Word. If you have a paragraph
formatted as "Keep with next," and there is not room for at least two lines
of the following paragraph on the same page (assuming that "Widow/orphan
control" is also enabled), the entire first paragraph moves to the next page
with the following paragraph. You'd think Word could leave all but the last
two lines of the first paragraph on the first page, but that is not the way
it is designed. For relatively short paragraphs, such as headings (which are
the type of paragraph most often formatte as KWN), this is not usually an
issue, and if you have short questions and long answers, it shouldn't be a
problem, but if the questions are long, you'll just have to live with it.