Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bill Bill is offline

Default Numbering, Bullets, Indents ......

Hi All,

I always get into trouble with this!!

I have a document of about three pages that uses numbering to clarify
certain sections of the document. Below those sections there are other
sections some of which have numbers (or letters) with indents to highlight
other small sections.

I now need to be able to go back to the far left side of the document and
continue from the last number used at that position. Normally I can do this,
although I have to admit that sometimes it does not continue from the last
number as I wish, and I have to customise the start number.

However on this occasion, and this has happened before, as soon as I click
on the toolbar button that should introduce the number, it indents to the
last used tab position which is too far to the right. I cannot get it to
accept anything other than that far right position if I want any form of
numbering.

Can anyone advise if there is remedy please.

Regards.
Bill.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bill Bill is offline

Alt Shift Right works
Alt Shift Left doesn't.

Any ideas?

Regards.
Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

J_B J_B is offline
Junior Member

Smile

This is very aggravating I know exactly what you are talking about. Since no one posted a reply I will add what I have learned to fix this in case someone else is having this issue. Not sure how to keep it from ever happening however, if you want to correct here are the steps:

1) Highlight the BULLET. (Note if multiple bullets highlight, you may need to RIGHT CLICK and 'Separate the List' so you can just highlight the problem bullet)
2) RIGHT CLICK
3) Click 'ADJUST LIST INDENTS...'
4) SET BULLET POSITION = 0 (This is aligned fully left, or you can change to what you want.)
5) SET TEXT INDENT = .25 (Or you can change to what you want.)
6) SET FOLLOW NUMBER WITH: = TAB CHARACTER

This will force the bullet to align how you want it. You can pull up the other bullet you want to align it to and get its indent properties and set the same in other bullets too.

Hope this helps.