Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
prestebb prestebb is offline

Default What are all the layout compatibility options in Word 2007?

In Word Options/advanced there are several layout options listed. How can I
find out what each of them does?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The following KB article explains most of the compatibility options:

Description of the Compatibility options that are available in the Options
dialog box in Word 2003, Word 2002, and Word 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288792/en-us

There doesn't seem to be a similar article written for Word 2007.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"prestebb" wrote in message
In Word Options/advanced there are several layout options listed. How can
I find out what each of them does?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I don't think there are actually any new ones in Word 2007, but the
explanations in that article aren't always very helpful for any version,
anyway. A lot of them are kind of trial-and-error, I think.

http://word.mvps.org

"prestebb" wrote in message
In Word Options/advanced there are several layout options listed. How can
I find out what each of them does?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Actually, there are at least two new compatibility options for Word 2007:

- "Use Normal style for bulleted or numbered lists"

- "Split apart page break and paragraph mark"

(Saving a file in *.doc format would undoubtedly reveal even more new
options.)

I agree that the KB article isn't always helpful, but at least it gives us
some information...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"prestebb" wrote in message
In Word Options/advanced there are several layout options listed. How
can
I find out what each of them does?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Use Normal style for bulleted or numbered lists" should prevent Word from
changing the style when you apply a bulleted or numbered list (as direct
formatting via buttons on the ribbon). This is also available as a
application-wide setting (in the Advanced category, under "Editing
options").

--

"prestebb" wrote in message
In Word Options/advanced there are several layout options listed. How
can
I find out what each of them does?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
gordo gordo is offline

Does clicking the question mark next to the red x provide answers?

Gordo

"prestebb" wrote in message
In Word Options/advanced there are several layout options listed. How can
find out what each of them does?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The help topic displayed if you click the question mark describes the
options of the dialog box, but it does not give you any information on
individual compatibility options. This applies even if you let Word fetch
online help topics. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"prestebb" wrote in message
In Word Options/advanced there are several layout options listed. How can
find out what each of them does?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In a quick test, it seems as if paragraphs which have styles other than
Normal applied to them won't be affected, no matter if the option is enabled
or disabled.

For anyone else following the thread I'd like to clarify that the style
being applied by Word (to numbered or bulleted paragraphs) if you clear the
"Use Normal style for bulleted or numbered lists" option is List Paragraph.

--

"prestebb" wrote in message
In Word Options/advanced there are several layout options listed.
How can
I find out what each of them does?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Ah, right. In previous versions, with certain AutoFormat As You Type options
enabled, you would sometimes see List Number or (more often) List Bullet
styles being applied if you applied bullets or numbering using the toolbar
buttons.