Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lars Lars is offline

Default Inserting a Word doc does not preserve the imported files' layout.

Hi all!

I have two Word documents.
They both use the same template (.dot).

Document 1 is built by managed code in vb.

Document 2 is a document manually built - one page only, and has the
following "structure":
1. (Topmost) A text box with black fill and white text.
2. (Beneath 1) Two collumns. Left has text only, right has a picture and
some text boxes placed on the picture.
3. (Beneath 2) One collumn. Text only.
4. (Beneath 3) A logo
5. (Beneath 4) A text box with black fill and white text.

When calling insert file either doing it manually in Word 2002 SP3 (I know
it's more than old...) or using managed VB code (VS2005), document 2 will be
added to document 1 - but the objects that are on one single page in document
2 will be spread out on 2 or 3 pages or actually stay on one page but the
objects are not on the same positions as they were in document 2. I
understand that I lack some fundamental Word knowledge here.

Am I explaining this badly?
Please download this ZIP file
(http://www.industriinformation.se/wo...le_problem.zip) containing
JPGs (showing how it SHOULD look and how it looks) and the two Word documents
in case you feel that you need to make this a little less abstract.

I have tried to change so many different page settings before inserting
document 2. But so far - no success...
I have also made a new section before adding document 2, but to no avail...

Can I, somehow, preserve the layout so the new page in document 1 will look
exactly as it does in document 2?

I'm not helped by customized formatting to suit this example document 2
only, since document 2 could be changed to look completely different at any
time. And it should always be added to document 1 and the inserted file
layout must be preserved - no matter the contents/layout of document 2.

Looking forward to reading any suggestions!

Best regards,

/Lars