John C.

Default Strange behavior in column (Word 2002)

Here is the problem:

I make a simple table with two columns.

In column 1, I put a lot of text (which makes the table extend to the next
page).
In column 2, I enter a number.
In "cell alignment" I choose the bottom-right option.

One would expect to see the number aligned with the last line of the text,
on the second page. However, the number sticks to the last line of the first
page (instead of the last line of the cell) and does not move.

I remember this happening in earlier versions of Word too, but I never
managed to make it good.

Anybody can help?

John C.

Anne Troy

The best way to use tables for side-by-side information is to create a new
row for every single paragraph that you want to be side-by-side. Rule of
thumb is not to use paragraph returns within tables.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"John C." wrote in message
Here is the problem:

I make a simple table with two columns.

In column 1, I put a lot of text (which makes the table extend to the next
page).
In column 2, I enter a number.
In "cell alignment" I choose the bottom-right option.

One would expect to see the number aligned with the last line of the text,
on the second page. However, the number sticks to the last line of the

first
page (instead of the last line of the cell) and does not move.

I remember this happening in earlier versions of Word too, but I never
managed to make it good.

Anybody can help?

John C.

Yes, this does seem to be the way Word works. The only workarounds I can
think of would be (a) to set the row not to break across pages (a problem if
it really is a very deep row) and (b) to arbitrarily split the row at the
bottom of the page and put the number in the next row (on the next page).

It may be possible to do this another way. It sounds as if you're setting up
a TOC-like structure. If that's the case, you can do it with tabs instead of
a table, as follows:

1. Set a right tab at the right margin (or wherever you want the number to
appear).

2. Apply a right indent to the paragraph (style) so that the text will wrap
short of the right margin by enough to clear the numbers (that is, an indent
the width of your table Column 2).

3. Type all the text you want to appear before the number, Tab, then type
the number. This will create an ordinary paragraph that will wrap across
pages in a predictable way with the number on the following page as
expected.

"John C." wrote in message
Here is the problem:

I make a simple table with two columns.

In column 1, I put a lot of text (which makes the table extend to the next
page).
In column 2, I enter a number.
In "cell alignment" I choose the bottom-right option.

One would expect to see the number aligned with the last line of the text,
on the second page. However, the number sticks to the last line of the

first
page (instead of the last line of the cell) and does not move.

I remember this happening in earlier versions of Word too, but I never
managed to make it good.

Anybody can help?

John C.

John C.

Thank you both.
However it seems to me that this is a design error of Word.
Thanks again
John C.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

so