StargateFan

Default Toolbar option available for TABLE>INSERT>TABLE to enclose text into a table?

I couldn't seem to find a toolbar icon to do this. I have a big job,
similar to others, where I need to take a whole bunch of paragraphs
and to turn them into tables before putting into an Excel spreadsheet.
By making into a table first, the data "conversion" has been reliable,
unlike just copy/pasting (bunch of errors this way, whereas table text
no).

Also, since the categories change so much between paragraphs, no way
to speed the process up but, at least, if I could automate the
function of converting bits of text to tables so I wouldn't have to
use the pulldowns, that would save a lot of grief.

Is there any toolbar option, or does anyone know the VB coding that
would do the same thing?

Thanks!

Jay Freedman

Yes, you can do this.

Open the Tools Customize dialog. If you want to make a new separate
toolbar for this, go to the Toolbars tab and click the New button.

While the dialog is still open, click the Table menu and click the
Convert item to expand it. Hold the Ctrl key while you drag the
Convert Text To Table item from the menu to any toolbar. (Normally I'd
tell you to drag the command from the Commands tab of the Customize
dialog to a toolbar, but for some reason it isn't there. Neither is
its sibling, Convert Table To Text.)

If you want to replace the text on the new button with an icon,
right-click it and select Change Button Image. Pick an icon, then
click Default Style.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:34:44 -0500, StargateFan
wrote:

I couldn't seem to find a toolbar icon to do this. I have a big job,
similar to others, where I need to take a whole bunch of paragraphs
and to turn them into tables before putting into an Excel spreadsheet.
By making into a table first, the data "conversion" has been reliable,
unlike just copy/pasting (bunch of errors this way, whereas table text
no).

Also, since the categories change so much between paragraphs, no way
to speed the process up but, at least, if I could automate the
function of converting bits of text to tables so I wouldn't have to
use the pulldowns, that would save a lot of grief.

Is there any toolbar option, or does anyone know the VB coding that
would do the same thing?

Thanks!

Dian Chapman, MVP, MOS

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here, but I think you're
saying you want to know how to convert text to a table?

If that's the case, select the area you want to convert, or hit Ctrl+A
to select all. Then click Table Convert Text to Table.

If you want to automate this, record it the first time as a macro and
then run to repeat.

Hope this helps...

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

wrote:

I couldn't seem to find a toolbar icon to do this. I have a big job,
similar to others, where I need to take a whole bunch of paragraphs
and to turn them into tables before putting into an Excel spreadsheet.
By making into a table first, the data "conversion" has been reliable,
unlike just copy/pasting (bunch of errors this way, whereas table text
no).

Also, since the categories change so much between paragraphs, no way
to speed the process up but, at least, if I could automate the
function of converting bits of text to tables so I wouldn't have to
use the pulldowns, that would save a lot of grief.

Is there any toolbar option, or does anyone know the VB coding that
would do the same thing?

Thanks!

StargateFan

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:03:48 -0500, Jay Freedman
wrote:

Yes, you can do this.

Open the Tools Customize dialog. If you want to make a new separate
toolbar for this, go to the Toolbars tab and click the New button.

While the dialog is still open, click the Table menu and click the
Convert item to expand it. Hold the Ctrl key while you drag the
Convert Text To Table item from the menu to any toolbar. (Normally I'd
tell you to drag the command from the Commands tab of the Customize
dialog to a toolbar, but for some reason it isn't there. Neither is
its sibling, Convert Table To Text.)

YES!! Glory be, but that's beautiful! I'm saving this message to a
text file to save to the floppies that I carry around with me from
work contract to work contract. Can't tell you how many times I've
created a macro to do that a pulldown item will do but that doesn't
appear in the commands tab in the toolbar customize! g

Thanks so much, that's exactly what I needed _without_ creating a
macro then a icon sigh, something I've become quite adept at in the
last few years! vbg

Cheers!

wrote:

I couldn't seem to find a toolbar icon to do this. I have a big job,
similar to others, where I need to take a whole bunch of paragraphs
and to turn them into tables before putting into an Excel spreadsheet.
By making into a table first, the data "conversion" has been reliable,
unlike just copy/pasting (bunch of errors this way, whereas table text
no).

Also, since the categories change so much between paragraphs, no way
to speed the process up but, at least, if I could automate the
function of converting bits of text to tables so I wouldn't have to
use the pulldowns, that would save a lot of grief.

Is there any toolbar option, or does anyone know the VB coding that
would do the same thing?

Thanks!

StargateFan

Hi, thanks! Jay Freedman kindly provided the answer in the previous
response. I can ctrl+drag the icon from the pulldown onto the toolbar
to get this without having to create a macro/icon to do this.

Thanks for your help, though! Appreciate it.

****************************

wrote:

I couldn't seem to find a toolbar icon to do this. I have a big job,
similar to others, where I need to take a whole bunch of paragraphs
and to turn them into tables before putting into an Excel spreadsheet.
By making into a table first, the data "conversion" has been reliable,
unlike just copy/pasting (bunch of errors this way, whereas table text
no).

Also, since the categories change so much between paragraphs, no way
to speed the process up but, at least, if I could automate the
function of converting bits of text to tables so I wouldn't have to
use the pulldowns, that would save a lot of grief.

Is there any toolbar option, or does anyone know the VB coding that
would do the same thing?

Thanks!

Dian Chapman, MVP, MOS

Not a problem and thanks for the thanks. Jay is a wiz and a great guy
with lots of tricks up his sleeves. ;-)

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

wrote:

I couldn't seem to find a toolbar icon to do this. I have a big job,
similar to others, where I need to take a whole bunch of paragraphs
and to turn them into tables before putting into an Excel spreadsheet.
By making into a table first, the data "conversion" has been reliable,
unlike just copy/pasting (bunch of errors this way, whereas table text
no).

Also, since the categories change so much between paragraphs, no way
to speed the process up but, at least, if I could automate the
function of converting bits of text to tables so I wouldn't have to
use the pulldowns, that would save a lot of grief.

Is there any toolbar option, or does anyone know the VB coding that
would do the same thing?

Thanks!

How do I tie Table Numbers to references in the text? Tim Tables 4 May 6th 23 08:49 PM
Resources for Long Document Management Jason Langkamer-Smith Microsoft Word Help 9 January 17th 05 09:17 PM
Any way to link text with Figure or Table number? Richard Stanford Microsoft Word Help 1 January 4th 05 03:32 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 03:49 PM
Text cut off in table at bottom of page David Best Tables 5 October 27th 04 04:53 AM