Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ray Pixley Ray Pixley is offline

Default Position Pictures (or Drawing Canvas) in Print View of Word

I have a document that has text plus a pictures that takes up a full page
(margin to margin) that I'm having problems laying out. As a simple example,
let's discuss a document that have 2-3 pages of text and one margin to margin
picture. Also, I assume that what works for a picture will also work for a
drawing canvas, so both terms are considered interchangeable in this
discussion.

Let the first page be all text. Within one of the paragraphs is a word
which I'll call a bookmark word. (If an actual bookmark is needed there and
does the trick, that's ok.) I want the picture to appear on the next page
after that bookmark word appears, even if the paragraph is split across two
pages and the bookmark word is on the second page. And remember, this is for
a print layout; I could care less about the other views as they are
extraneous and irrelevant to my needs.

The beahvior must include the ability to maintain this type of print layout
if text (or other pictures) are added before that bookmark word. The text is
expected to shifts appropriately and the picture must always be on the page
that follow the bookmark word no matter what. The text should automatically
flow around the picture without my having to intervene or even think about
it. No white space should ever appears.

For some reason, Word 2003 doesn't want to do that for me, and I don't
understand why it is so hostile. It worked fine in old versions of Word
Perfect years ago. Why can't I do that in Word, which should be a superior
product?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ray Pixley Ray Pixley is offline

I can hardly believe that. Every writing style guide that I know of from the
1960s to now mandates this kind of layout. Why would Microsoft ignore such
industry practice? Your reply makes no sense.

"Ray Pixley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Because Word is not page layout software; if you need that type of layout,
you will be much happier using page layout software.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This has never been possible in any version of Word. Perhaps you are
recalling a different word processor?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Ray Pixley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ray Pixley Ray Pixley is offline

While I don't want to be sarcastic,

1) Since when?
2) Why was it sold to my employer as such?
3) Why is it advertised as such?

Unless that page layout software you mention is free of charge, getting it
is not an option.

"Ray Pixley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word is a word processor. It always has been. Publisher is marketed as page
layout software, as are/were PageMaker, InDesign, QuarkXpress, etc.

That said, there are ways to do what you want, but not the way you describe.

"Ray Pixley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ray Pixley Ray Pixley is offline

Word Perfrect is a word processor, and it was (maybe still is - I haven't
been allowed to use it lately because my employer believed Microsoft's
advertisement that Word is a superior program.) able to do what I asked
before Word came into existence. Are you advising that Word is an inferior
product? I'm sure Mr. Gates would like to know.

Right now, I'm not sure what Word is. Prehaps just an overpriced text
editor with some deliberately limited bells and whistles.

The templates provided by Microsoft for Word says it can be used for
newsletters, brochures, and reports. The layout in those kinds of documents
are clearly more complicated than what I asked for. Why can Word be used for
those purposes, and not mine?