Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mary Ann Mary Ann is offline

Default Table, column and cell widths

Can anyone recommend some material which I can use to learn in depth about
the implications of width preferences. E.g the impact of using percent
rather than cm, how to maintain a consistent table width while being able to
merge and split cells within it, the impact of the default auto-resize etc.

I used to be fine with tables in Word 2000 but my recent foray into them in
2003 has become a nightmare!

I would be grateful for any suggestions.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To prevent cells from resizing, you should specify fixed column widths (in
Table | Table Properties, Column tab) but also turn off the "Automatically
resize to fit contents" option in the Table Options dialog box (Table |
Table Properties, Table tab, click the Options button). To accomplish both
of these things in a single step, you can click Table | AutoFit | Fixed
Column Width.

Setting percentage widths in Word tables is discussed in this article:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfm...ableToPage.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend some material which I can use to learn in depth about
the implications of width preferences. E.g the impact of using percent
rather than cm, how to maintain a consistent table width while being able
merge and split cells within it, the impact of the default auto-resize
etc.

I used to be fine with tables in Word 2000 but my recent foray into them
in
2003 has become a nightmare!

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mary Ann Mary Ann is offline

Thanks for the reply Stefan. Do you know of anything else that looks at this
topic in more detail?

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend some material which I can use to learn in depth about
the implications of width preferences. E.g the impact of using percent
rather than cm, how to maintain a consistent table width while being able
merge and split cells within it, the impact of the default auto-resize
etc.

I used to be fine with tables in Word 2000 but my recent foray into them
in
2003 has become a nightmare!

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

Well, you may want to read this article, which discusses problems with the
Table Properties dialog box:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/TablePropPrbs.htm. And see the list
of articles on tables at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/index.htm.

Also, I'd like to add that if you want to store and re-use a particular
table format, the easiest way is to select it and save it as an AutoText
entry. Then, the next time you need such a table, just insert the AutoText.
(For more on AutoText in general, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend some material which I can use to learn in depth
about
the implications of width preferences. E.g the impact of using percent
rather than cm, how to maintain a consistent table width while being
able
merge and split cells within it, the impact of the default auto-resize
etc.

I used to be fine with tables in Word 2000 but my recent foray into
them
in
2003 has become a nightmare!

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mary Ann Mary Ann is offline

Thank you - lots of useful info - what a relief to be able to control the
width of a column again!

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend some material which I can use to learn in depth
about
the implications of width preferences. E.g the impact of using percent
rather than cm, how to maintain a consistent table width while being
able
merge and split cells within it, the impact of the default auto-resize
etc.

I used to be fine with tables in Word 2000 but my recent foray into
them
in
2003 has become a nightmare!

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad I could help--and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend some material which I can use to learn in depth
about
the implications of width preferences. E.g the impact of using
percent
rather than cm, how to maintain a consistent table width while being
able
merge and split cells within it, the impact of the default
auto-resize
etc.

I used to be fine with tables in Word 2000 but my recent foray into
them
in
2003 has become a nightmare!

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Table and column widths Mary Ann Tables 0 October 29th 07 05:26 PM
Table column widths Biddy Tables 7 August 28th 07 11:49 AM
Table Column Widths Automatically Resize The Merg Tables 1 April 11th 06 09:25 AM
Table column widths DanB Tables 5 June 23rd 05 11:37 AM
cell margins & widths and table widths u2canbfree Tables 1 May 18th 05 10:34 AM