Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Neil Neil is offline

Default Formula

Hi, I have a word document with a variety of tables in it. I am trying to
count the number of times a string of letters appear. In excel I would simply
select the field and use the countif, but can't do this in word! Can anyone
help please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you find/replace text with itself Word will report the number of hits.
For example, suppose I'm looking for the number of times that "ABcd" (case
specific) occurs in a file. I can do Find/Replace:

Find: ABcd

Replace with: ABcd

Match case enabled

Replace All

Word will tell you how many it replaced, effectively not changing anything.

If case isn't important, then use ^& as the Replace with: string. ^& is the
special match string for "whatever matched the search". Hence, in this case,
if Word found AbCd or ABCD it would replace it with AbCd or ABCD,
respectively.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
"Neil" wrote in message
Hi, I have a word document with a variety of tables in it. I am trying to
count the number of times a string of letters appear. In excel I would
simply
select the field and use the countif, but can't do this in word! Can
anyone
help please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Neil Neil is offline

thanks for that. I didn't quite explain what I wanted though, what I'd like
is the result shown dynamically in the word document so users can see a
running total of a number of occurances, by the way its office 2003 on XP

Formula Roger Tables 3 May 14th 06 06:07 PM
what is a formula ? brit Microsoft Word Help 1 February 21st 06 04:33 PM
how to align caption of formula right whereas formula itself left Martin van Leeuwen Microsoft Word Help 1 October 22nd 05 06:39 AM
Formula help? Michael_Corral Microsoft Word Help 1 June 21st 05 07:44 PM
Formula help? Michael_Corral Page Layout 1 June 21st 05 07:27 PM