Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tails72 tails72 is offline

Default everytime i change the default languge it goes back to french

i live in france and everytime i change the default language to english it
goes back to french the moment i push the spell check. i have changed the
language in the mircosoft tools and even deleted the french dictionary. grr
anyone can help please
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tails72" wrote in message
i live in france and everytime i change the default language to

english it
goes back to french the moment i push the spell check. i have

changed the
language in the mircosoft tools and even deleted the french

dictionary. grr
anyone can help please

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tails72" wrote in message
i live in france and everytime i change the default language to

english it
goes back to french the moment i push the spell check. i have

changed the
language in the mircosoft tools and even deleted the french

dictionary. grr
anyone can help please

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew B Andrew B is offline

I tried the same (Word 2007 on Vista) - I did what was described at the
swissonline URL you provided, disabling English (Canada) in Microsoft Office
Tools and leaving only English (United States) enabled, which is what I want.
It didn't work. I open a new doc and it still defaults to English (Canada) -
which should be impossible if that language is not enabled! And the only
enabled language that shows up in the box under Office Tools is English
(United States)... makes no sense.
I've tried other options like changing the default language in Word Options,
etc. It still defaults to English (Canada) every time. I'm getting tired of
having to reset every new document manually.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tails72" wrote in message
i live in france and everytime i change the default language to
english it
goes back to french the moment i push the spell check. i have
changed the
language in the mircosoft tools and even deleted the french
dictionary. grr
anyone can help please

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
larry larry is offline

I have another weird one along the same lines. I have one document, and one
document alone, that after doing all the suggestions here, when I spell check
it, it switches to checking in French. This is eve n after I disabled French
as a language. Any other suggestions?

"Andrew B" wrote:

I tried the same (Word 2007 on Vista) - I did what was described at the
swissonline URL you provided, disabling English (Canada) in Microsoft Office
Tools and leaving only English (United States) enabled, which is what I want.
It didn't work. I open a new doc and it still defaults to English (Canada) -
which should be impossible if that language is not enabled! And the only
enabled language that shows up in the box under Office Tools is English
(United States)... makes no sense.
I've tried other options like changing the default language in Word Options,
etc. It still defaults to English (Canada) every time. I'm getting tired of
having to reset every new document manually.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tails72" wrote in message
i live in france and everytime i change the default language to
english it
goes back to french the moment i push the spell check. i have
changed the
language in the mircosoft tools and even deleted the french
dictionary. grr
anyone can help please

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Here is th fix for Office 2007:
Fix for Spell Check malfunction in MS office 2007:
It has been noticed that in some cases after install Office 2007 the spell
checker may cease to work properly and will be stuck in French mode.
If this occurs:
1. Exit all Microsoft Office Applications
2. Run Regedit.exe.
3. Delete the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override\en-US
Once you restart the application it will work correctly.

"Andrew B" wrote:

I tried the same (Word 2007 on Vista) - I did what was described at the
swissonline URL you provided, disabling English (Canada) in Microsoft Office
Tools and leaving only English (United States) enabled, which is what I want.
It didn't work. I open a new doc and it still defaults to English (Canada) -
which should be impossible if that language is not enabled! And the only
enabled language that shows up in the box under Office Tools is English
(United States)... makes no sense.
I've tried other options like changing the default language in Word Options,
etc. It still defaults to English (Canada) every time. I'm getting tired of
having to reset every new document manually.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tails72" wrote in message
i live in france and everytime i change the default language to
english it
goes back to french the moment i push the spell check. i have
changed the
language in the mircosoft tools and even deleted the french
dictionary. grr
anyone can help please

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Larry,
Here is the fix for Office 2007:

"Andrew B" wrote:

I tried the same (Word 2007 on Vista) - I did what was described at the
swissonline URL you provided, disabling English (Canada) in Microsoft Office
Tools and leaving only English (United States) enabled, which is what I want.
It didn't work. I open a new doc and it still defaults to English (Canada) -
which should be impossible if that language is not enabled! And the only
enabled language that shows up in the box under Office Tools is English
(United States)... makes no sense.
I've tried other options like changing the default language in Word Options,
etc. It still defaults to English (Canada) every time. I'm getting tired of
having to reset every new document manually.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tails72" wrote in message
i live in france and everytime i change the default language to
english it
goes back to french the moment i push the spell check. i have
changed the
language in the mircosoft tools and even deleted the french
dictionary. grr
anyone can help please

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jiris Jiris is offline

I met a similar problemnow, in 2010:
My PC & Office 2007 are both configured to Czech language. Recently I got a
document written in Czech whereas the language in it was (incorrectly) set to
Slovak. To avoid ridiculous spell-checking I changed the language to Czech,
expecting that all becomes OK by itself. But the red underlining did not
disappear. When I manually started spell checking, the "Slovak language" came
back, instead. After that, I was seeking and found this post I am just
replying to. I was ready to delete the Registry key, as Chris was advising,
but I found no such key in the Registry.
To continue my effort I heuristically tried to change the document format
from 2003 to 2007, checked & unchecked the Compatibility mode, but it brought
no result.
Evidently, there still is an error of this kind in Word 2007.
Does anybody know a solution?

This is not the only shortcoming concernig spell-checking I have met in Word
2007. I was used to provide some specific text strings (which in fact were
not words of the language but abbreviations etc.) by the "do not spell-check"
attribute to avoid red underlining. I didn't find this facility in Word 2007
any more. When I want to get rid of useless and incorrect red underlining, I
must do things like create a new style with this attribute and apply it, but
to simply select a piece of text regardless of paragraph boundaries and
assign "do not spell-check" works no more.

"Chris" wrote:

Larry,
Here is the fix for Office 2007:
Fix for Spell Check malfunction in MS office 2007:
It has been noticed that in some cases after install Office 2007 the spell
checker may cease to work properly and will be stuck in French mode.
If this occurs:
1. Exit all Microsoft Office Applications
2. Run Regedit.exe.
3. Delete the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override\en-US
Once you restart the application it will work correctly.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jiris Jiris is offline

Dear Suzanne,
yes, I had the whole text selected.
I tried the same thing now again, after some 3 weeks, and must make my
information more accurate:
Red underlining of misspelled words disappeared, it is OK from this point of
view, but blue underlining (just it was my major problem) remained. In
general, grammatical rules are comparatively severe and it is nearly
unavoidable (e.g. in column headers) to write a correctly spelled header,
whereas its "grammatical regularity" can be hardly obtained.
I have Word 2003 no more installed, and though I am working in the same
manner as before, I do not remember to be bored by blue underlining while
working with Word 2003

"Jiris" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You would not have seen the blue underlining in Word 2003 because it
indicates "contextual spelling," which is new in 2007.

http://word.mvps.org