Nursery School Volunteer

Default Can mail merge pull from records from multiple data sources?

I have an excel workbook that contains two separate worksheets for separate
school member info. I need to create a mail merge letter and corresponding
labels for them, however, I am not sure if Word 2003 is capable of pulling
data from two separate data sources to create the labels. It is easy to
create one set of labels and then merge the next set of labels, but that is
wasteful when there are extra labels on the first sheet.

Please advise
Doug Robbins

Mailmerge can only use a single flat datasource. I assume that what you
need to do is create two formletter merges, one for each worksheet, with
different content for each worksheet and then you want to create labels for
both letters. What you should do, so that the label merge can be executed
in one go, is to create a third worksheet into which you copy and paste the
relevant data from each of the other two worksheets.

There will be an issue if you later add records to the individual worksheets
as you will have to remember to copy the records to the "label" worksheet.

On the other hand, if you have Access, you could have each of the original
two worksheets as a separate table and use a union query to combine them and
form the source of the label type mailmerge. Then you would only have to
enter new records one time.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Nursery School Volunteer" Nursery School
wrote in message
I have an excel workbook that contains two separate worksheets for separate
school member info. I need to create a mail merge letter and
corresponding
labels for them, however, I am not sure if Word 2003 is capable of pulling
data from two separate data sources to create the labels. It is easy to
create one set of labels and then merge the next set of labels, but that
is
wasteful when there are extra labels on the first sheet.

Please advise

Nursery School Volunteer

Thanks Doug. That is one limitation of mail merge I would like to see
enhanced. You are right, the best possible solution is combine the two
separate data onto a separate worksheet specifically for labels. I was just
hoping that somehow the "concantenanate" function would work on this type of
task also.

Thanks again.
Linda