aubiepride

Default How do I stop double spacing after hitting the return key?

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document. How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I stop double spacing after hitting the return key?

To stop double spacing after hitting the return key in Microsoft Word:
  1. Select the paragraph(s) that you want to change the spacing for.
  2. Right-click on the selected text and choose "Paragraph" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Paragraph" dialog box, under the "Spacing" section, look for the "After" option.
  4. Change the value in the "After" box to "0 pt" or "Single" (depending on your version of Word).
  5. Click "OK" to save the changes.

To modify the default paragraph settings:
  1. Click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon.
  2. Right-click on the "Normal" style in the "Styles" section and choose "Modify" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Modify Style" dialog box, click on the "Format" button at the bottom and choose "Paragraph" from the drop-down menu.
  4. Follow steps 3-5 above to change the "After" spacing to "0 pt" or "Single".
  5. Click "OK" to save the changes.

If you want to make this change for all paragraphs in your document, modifying the default paragraph settings is the way to go.
__________________
garfield-n-odie

Select the double-spaced paragraphs, click on Format | Paragraph

aubiepride wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document. How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

pameluh

Select all (Ctrl+A)

Format | Paragraph | Indents and Spacing tab

Set the spacing before and after to 0"

Check the box that says "Don't add a space between paragraphs of the same
style"

Cheers!

Pamela

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document. How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
assisi61 assisi61 is offline

I have to do this over and over and over, because I NEVER use the default
spacing for lines or paragraphs; even when I click default after setting as
you said, it never remains default, I have to change the spacing each and
every time to avoid the double-spacing and between paragraphs. Is this a
failure of the software or is there something else I can do to make my
settings permanent until I change them? (It happens as well with a simple
3-line address macro: sometimes it double-spaces, sometimes not. ?

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document. How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pameluh pameluh is offline

Select all (Ctrl+A)
Format | Paragraph | Indents and Spacing tab
Set the spacing before and after to 0 pt
Set the line spacing to Single
Check the box that says "Don't add a space between paragraphs of the same
style"

If that doesn't work, you will need to adjust your Normal style setting as
follows:

Format | Styles and Formatting
Select Normal
On the pull down arrow and select Modify
Click the "Format" button on the bottom left
Select Paragraph and follow the instructions above.

That should do it! Please let me know if that works!

Pamela

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document. How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

After you modify the settings in the Paragraph dialog box click the Default
button at the bottom and confirm you want to change your Normal template.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a
formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I
finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document.
How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dennis Cooke[_2_] Dennis Cooke[_2_] is offline

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a
formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I
finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document.
How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

When I go to format paragraph option the option "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style" is grayed out, How do I make it active?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This option is available only for styles, not individual paragraphs. If you
want to remove spacing from a specific paragraph, just set the Space After
to zero. If the Space After is zero, there will be no space between
paragraphs to suppress.

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a
formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I
finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document.
How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

When I go to format paragraph option the option "Don't add space between
paragraphs of the same style" is grayed out, How do I make it active?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Howardstown08 Howardstown08 is offline

Hi Pamela
Thank you for the tip. The problem I am having is the box re don't add space
is faded out and I'm unable to tick it. So I can only use the the change to
the new setting of the spacing to 0 before having to go back again to reset
it. Can you help?
Thanks
Colette

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document. How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Howardstown08 Howardstown08 is offline

Yes, I have made the adjustments to 0 spacing but I am unable to tick the box
"Don't add a space between paragraphs of the same style" It comes up faded
not allowing me to tick. When I have made the adjustment, it will work for
one email only, then I am back to going back into Format and re-doing the
instruction. Why will it not stay/remain applied and continue to revert back
to it's original format. I have read the many communicaitons and hope perhaps
there is another solution for me to try.

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a
formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when
finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want
my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the
document.
How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

When I go to format paragraph option the option "Don't add space
between
paragraphs of the same style" is grayed out, How do I make it active?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are making the change in the format of a specific paragraph in a
specific email. You are not making the change in the style itself. If you
want to make the change for all new documents, you must make the change in
the style and write that change back to the template. If, as appears from
this thread, you have Word 2007 and are actually talking about emails rather
than Word documents, then you need to be posting in an Outlook newsgroup,
since only a clone of Word (not Word itself) is used for email in Outlook.

"aubiepride" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Designer Jean Designer Jean is offline

I I have tried all of these suggestions and none of them are doing the job
permanently. I have Office 2003. I changed to Microsoft Word as my e-mail
editoras a possible source for a remedy. I have tried to make NORMAL Style
my e-mail default, but it keeps reverting back to Paragraph Style with double
line-spacing for each new e-mail. I also have tried this in my WORD and I,
too, find the grey box "Make This my Default" is grayed out. This shouldn't
be this difficult, or convoluted, as this is pretty basic stuff. All I want
is NORMAL to be my e-mail default style. What's wrong?

"aubiepride" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is probably a question about your email program and not about
Word, but why can't you simply accept that your email program requires
that "Paragraph" be the default style, and alter the parameters of the
Paragraph style?

"aubiepride" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ve744 ve744 is offline

I have read and done what has been suggested but I too keep getting double
spacing when writing an email. In Word I go to Format/Paragraph/Indent and
Spacings: in the "spacings" section there are 0's and "single". However, I
find no "Default" at the bottom of that page. Any other suggestions?
Thanks

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a
formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when
finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want
my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the
document.
How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

When I go to format paragraph option the option "Don't add space
between
paragraphs of the same style" is grayed out, How do I make it active?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
alpine4life alpine4life is offline

THX for your reply, I'm not the original poster but your answr was easy to
follow, took my 11.7 sec to turn it off (:

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document. How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are using Word 2007, do the following to change the defaults back to
those of Word 2003: First, create a new, blank document. Then, on the Home
tab, click Change Styles | Style Set | Word 2003. Finally, click Change
Styles | Set as Default. If/when you are prompted to save the Normal
template, choose to do so.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a
formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I
finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document.
How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
beautifulbaby beautifulbaby is offline

I have no answer, I am having the same problem after hitting the enter key
need single spacing, windows 7 is for the birds, give me windows XP any time,

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document. How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are not getting "double spacing." The default Normal style in Word 2007
has 1.15 line spacing and 10 pts Spacing After. If you want to use the Word
2003 defaults, you can select them instead from Home | Styles | Change
Styles | Style Set.

http://word.mvps.org

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a
formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I finish
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document. How
do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The problem to which you refer has nothing to do with the operating system
(Windows XP or Windows 7). It's a feature of the default setup of Word
2007. If you want to return it to the default for Word 2003, follow the
steps that Stefan outlined.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a
formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I finish
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document. How
do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] drlighthse@gmail.com is offline

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document. How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

Pamula
I cant find the fix on my Google Keep. There is no Format/ Paragragh option. Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] paul.m.rigby@gmail.com is offline

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when I finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the document. How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

Pamula
I cant find the fix on my Google Keep. There is no Format/ Paragragh option. Please help.

I found a workaround....it's stupid but it's quick.......the checkboxes feature.
Yep.
Lemme explain.

1. *Double spacing crap happens to you* Argh. Cry!
2. Click "Show checkboxes" to show checkboxes.
3. Click "Hide checkboxes" to hide checkboxes.
4. *Double spacing disappears* Breathe a sigh of relief. Wipe tears*

Yup....
Told you it was stupid.

**NOTE: This eliminates ALL double-spacing, including any double-spacing you meant to put. So before step 2, put a character (I use "." or "-" but it can be anything) to be a placeholder on that desired empty line.**

It's not THE FIX but it's HELLUVA lot faster than the Notepad/ MS Word double-space single-space forest magic and WAAAAAY faster than cavemanning your way through it deleting the spaces yourself.

Enjoy :-)