OrmondS

Default With large format printer page setup does not offer all sizes

Using Word 2003 SP1 I have selected a HPDesignjet 500 printer so I can print
to A1 size. I can select this size from the Properties of the printer, but
when I go to Page Setup, (paper tab), it gives me a pull down paper size
selection which doesn't match the printer and will not allow me to select a
custom size the same as A1.

Jay Freedman

On Wed, 11 May 2005 17:36:07 -0700, "OrmondS"
wrote:

Using Word 2003 SP1 I have selected a HPDesignjet 500 printer so I can print
to A1 size. I can select this size from the Properties of the printer, but
when I go to Page Setup, (paper tab), it gives me a pull down paper size
selection which doesn't match the printer and will not allow me to select a
custom size the same as A1.

In all versions of Word, the absolute maximum page size the program
can handle is 22 x 22 inches (55.8 x 55.8 cm). That means the largest
paper you can use in Word is A3, regardless of what the printer can
handle.

The reason for the restriction doesn't seem to be explained anywhere
in Microsoft's documentation. I believe it stems from the design
decisions, many versions ago, to represent all locations on the page
in terms of twips (1 twip = 1/20 pt) and to store those measurements
in 16-bit signed integers. The largest 16-bit signed integer value is
32767, while 22 inches is 31680 twips. Although the native integer
size has been 32 bits since Windows NT, it wouldn't have been
cost-effective to rewrite the entire display/print engine so we're
stuck with this legacy.

Yes, other programs can handle larger pages. No, Word can't.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman