Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
boutells boutells is offline

Default Line/secion/paragraph numbering

In multi level numbering, how can I revert to a higher level without a
separate number without affecting the lower level.

Example: In the following sequence:

1) line 1
2) line 2
a. line 3
b. line 4

I want to achieve after line 4:

1) line 1
2) line 2
a. line 3
b. line 4
xxx

so that XXX relates to 2) and not b. but is not numbered.

If I go shift enter after line 4, I move to the next line without a number
but if I then go shift tab at that point b. goes to the higher level and
becomes 3) line 4 and decreases the indentation accordingly.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Change the Style of xxx to "Normal" or whatever you're using for
ordinary text. If you want the whole paragraph to be left-indented,
then you'll perhaps create a specific style to do that.

On Mar 27, 5:22*am, boutells
wrote:
In multi level numbering, how can I revert to a higher level without a
separate number without affecting the lower level.

Example: In the following sequence:

1) * * *line 1
2) * * *line 2
* * * * *a. * * line 3
* * * * *b. * * line 4

I want to achieve after line 4:

1) * * *line 1
2) * * *line 2
* * * * *a. * * line 3
* * * * *b. * * line 4
* * * * xxx

so that XXX relates to 2) and not b. but is not numbered.

If I go shift enter after line 4, I move to the next line without a number
but if I then go shift tab at that point *b. goes to the higher level and
becomes 3) line 4 and decreases the indentation accordingly.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Press Enter at the end of line 4 so that the following line is a separate
paragraph. Then apply a non-numbered, indented paragraph style. You can make
use of the List Continue series of built-in styles or use your own.

Alternatively, after pressing Enter at the end of line 4, use BackSpace to
outdent and suppress numbering. In this case, you would have to press
BackSpace twice, I believe. (You will have to make sure that "Set left and
first indent with tabs and backspaces" is selected on the AutoFormat As You
Type tab of Office button | Word Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options.)

The first of these two methods will be easier to work with, especially in a
long document that you edit a lot.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP