Cooley

Default Decrease file size of Word2002 table doc ? Pictures already compr.

I am using a two column table for a video script. I inserted still images in
left column, text in right. I have compressed the still images but still
have a document that is 9MB in size. My client reviewed the document and
sent it back to me with notations using Track Changes option. The file he
returned to me was only 480K in size but still included all of the pictures.
I asked how he made the file smaller and he said to turn off "allow fast
saves" in Tools Options Saves, but when I checked it wasn't turned on.

Is there an easy way to decrease the overall file size of this document?

Thanks much!
Shauna Kelly

Hi Cooley

Here is Suzanne Barnhill's classic list of causes of large file size:

There are a number of reasons for excessive file size, including:

1. Fast Saves: Disable this at on the Save tab of Tools | Options.

2. Preview Pictu Clear the check box on the Summary tab of File |
Properties.

3. Versions (File | Versions): Make sure "Automatically save version on
close" is not turned on.

4. Revisions (Tools | Track Changes):
Highlight Changes: Make sure "Highlight changes on screen" is turned on
(or that "Final Showing Markup" is displayed).
Accept/Reject Changes: If "Accept All" or "Reject All" is available then
revisions are present; accept or reject all changes, then turn Track Changes
off.

5. Embedded True Type fonts (Tools | Options | Save); embedding fonts should
be avoided wherever possible.

6. Embedded graphics: When feasible, it is preferable to link the graphics.
That is, when you insert the graphic, click the arrow beside Insert in the
Picture dialog and choose Link to File rather than Insert or Insert and
Link.

7. Embedded objects: These are even worse than ordinary graphics saved with
the document. If you see an { EMBED } code, the graphic is an OLE object.
Unless you need to be able to edit the object in place, unlink it using
Ctrl+Shift+F9.

8. File format: Make sure you are saving as a Word document; in some cases
..rtf (Rich Text Format) files are significantly larger than .doc files.

9. Document corruption: See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/*AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Cooley" wrote in message
news
I am using a two column table for a video script. I inserted still images
in
left column, text in right. I have compressed the still images but still
have a document that is 9MB in size. My client reviewed the document and
sent it back to me with notations using Track Changes option. The file he
returned to me was only 480K in size but still included all of the
pictures.
I asked how he made the file smaller and he said to turn off "allow fast
saves" in Tools Options Saves, but when I checked it wasn't turned on.

Is there an easy way to decrease the overall file size of this document?

Thanks much!

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

So when are one of you (or have you???) written an article to list
this info so I can add it to my site as a support link? ;-)

Dian ~

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:23:59 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Actually I think I got most of that list from Beth Melton. g

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Well...if either of you do write one, please be sure to pass me the
link.

TIA..
Dian ~