Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chem major Chem major is offline

Default How to overline a letter instead of underline

I am a new user of microsoft word 2007. I am trying to type a chemistry lab
report and can't figure out how to place a line above a letter. For example,
the instructor wants average molarity reported as " CA " with a line over the
"A". I see where to under line, but not how to "overline".
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to overline a letter instead of underline

To overline a letter in Microsoft Word 2007, you can use the Equation Editor. Here are the steps to follow:
  1. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on the "Equation" button in the "Symbols" section.
  3. In the Equation Editor, click on the "Accent" button in the "Structures" section.
  4. Select the "Overbar" option from the drop-down menu.
  5. Type the letter you want to overline (in this case, "A") in the equation box.
  6. Click on the "X" button in the top right corner of the Equation Editor to close it.

Your overlined letter should now appear in your document. You can adjust the size and position of the overline by clicking on it and using the sizing handles that appear.