Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Larry Voyer

Default losing reference info

I have a document with a lot of custom captions. While I work on the document
there is no problem adding/inserting the various caption types.

However, after a power sequence on my PC and reopening the document, the
only references available to me are Equations, Figures and Tables. My dozen
or so custom caption labels are no longer available.

Prior to shutdown, I tried saving the dot file. When I opened the dot file
after power up, the custom references were there. When I opened my docukment
and attached the dot file (using auto update), still no custom
references(labels).

Can someone tell me what's going on??????

There are hundreds of these custom label in my document and I can't afford --
Larry Voyer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGFycnkgVm95ZXI=?=,

Caption labels are stored in the Normal.dot template. Really strange design
decision - caption labels don't travel with a document; they stay on the
originating computer.

It sounds as if your Normal.dot has been misplaced or lost. But perhaps, now you
know what file to look for, you can find it again? (Note: on newer installations
it will be a hidden file in a hidden folder, so you need to make sure you tell
Windows to search all hidden stuff, as well.)

I have a document with a lot of custom captions. While I work on the document
there is no problem adding/inserting the various caption types.

However, after a power sequence on my PC and reopening the document, the
only references available to me are Equations, Figures and Tables. My dozen
or so custom caption labels are no longer available.

Prior to shutdown, I tried saving the dot file. When I opened the dot file
after power up, the custom references were there. When I opened my docukment
and attached the dot file (using auto update), still no custom
references(labels).

Can someone tell me what's going on??????

There are hundreds of these custom label in my document and I can't afford --

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Larry Voyer

nThanks for the reply, Cindy.

This is disturbing news. When I send the document to someone else, the
implication is that they will not be able to modify the document since their
normal.dot file is probably different.

I had tried this earlier by saving normal.dot to normal2.dot and then
opening the document, after a power cycle, and importing the normal2.dot.
Didn't work! Maybe I did something wrong. I'll have to try it again.

I agree with you..."really strange design"...but I would have used another
word :-)
--
Larry Voyer

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGFycnkgVm95ZXI=?=,

This is disturbing news. When I send the document to someone else, the
implication is that they will not be able to modify the document since their
normal.dot file is probably different.

I had tried this earlier by saving normal.dot to normal2.dot and then
opening the document, after a power cycle, and importing the normal2.dot.
Didn't work! Maybe I did something wrong. I'll have to try it again.

No, that won't work. If you rename Normal2.dot back to Normal.dot and start
Word, the caption labels should come back. As for distributing the document for
editing, you have two basic choices:

1. Give the user instructions on how to create the Caption Labels (it's not
difficult, as you know, just a PITA)

2. Distribute a macro in the document, either one that runs when it's opened,
or one the user can execute from a toolbar you also include. The macro can
create the Caption Labels (they'll be in the user's Normal.dot) "painlessly".