Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jonathan589 Jonathan589 is offline

Default Table-numbering won't go 'way

I am using WD2003.

The cells in a table contain Roman numerals and are based on the Table Grid
style, and I want to get rid of the automatic numbering. The Normal style had
been set to automatically update so I turned that off. I've inserted the
misbehaving document into a new one to clear some of the formats without
wiping everything. I can wipe the numbering from an existing table but I
cannot change the Table Grid style to get rid of the numbering in it. Please
would someone tell me what I am missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Jonathan589

In order to solve the problem, you'll have to figure out where the numbers
are coming from.

Are they attached to the paragraphs as direct formatting? What style are the
paragraphs in? If the style of the paragraphs does not have numbering, then
you can get rid of the numbering by selecting the problem area and doing
ctrl-q.

If the paragraphs are in a numbered style, then apply a different style, or
modify the paragraph style to remove the numbering.

As far as I know, a table style cannot hold numbering information so I doubt
that the Table Grid style itself is the problem here.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Jonathan589" wrote in message
I am using WD2003.

The cells in a table contain Roman numerals and are based on the Table
Grid
style, and I want to get rid of the automatic numbering. The Normal style
had
been set to automatically update so I turned that off. I've inserted the
misbehaving document into a new one to clear some of the formats without
wiping everything. I can wipe the numbering from an existing table but I
cannot change the Table Grid style to get rid of the numbering in it.
Please
would someone tell me what I am missing?

Numbering in word table sr25 Microsoft Word Help 2 February 12th 07 05:47 PM
Table of contents numbering not consistent with page numbering format srd Tables 1 July 9th 06 07:49 PM
numbering in table ykchanaed Tables 5 November 7th 05 09:21 AM
Numbering in a Table AMA Tables 2 August 20th 05 12:21 AM
table caption numbering scottkinsey Tables 1 November 11th 04 12:47 PM