Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chartsmalm Chartsmalm is offline

Default Word 2000 Long Convoluted Error Message

This site doesn't allow paste in the message area - and, does not have any
means to attach.

The error message contains 16 lines of text. Far too much for me to try to
type accurately.
The opening line is "This error message can appear for several reasons."
The closing line is "More information about this error message online" [
with no link to an online URL]

There are 4 paragraphs that talk about Recovery, disk space, RAM, file locks
and attributes. None of the suggested problem sources are applicable to the
file or system.

The document was created in Word 2000. The user is using Word 2003. There
are 8, or more, other users using the same .doc with Word 2003, with no
problem.

The .doc is a form completion .doc, using the macros that change the "Enter"
key to "Tab" and then back to "Enter" upon closing the .doc. There is no
error message number.

The complaining user is using Windows XP pro on a Dell

If anyone has an idea as to why this would be occurring, please let me know.
I could send a JPEG of the error message if I have your e-mail address.

I've seen the rejection due to macros. This we adjust to moderate level
security so that they still get asked if it's okay - in order to block out
unknowns. But that is not the message that is coming up. The document is not
opening far enough to cause that error

Sure would appreciate a hand. I've warrantied this project and it is working
successfully at 22 locations, in 5 states. All of a sudden this strange
unlabeled error message.

HELP!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

CTRl+V wouldn't work here. Any other ideas?

CHartsmalm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have never had any problem using Ctrl+V to paste copied text into any Web
form anywhere; I find it hard to believe it would not work in the
Communities portal you are using. Of course, you have to have copied the
text first. You can copy an error message using Ctrl+C.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Ctrl+V is the universal shortcut for Paste and works anywhere in

Windows.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

In 18 years of MS experience, I too have never had a failure of any of the
cut and paste avenues whether using shortcut keys, right-click pop up menus
or the edit drop down menu - except in discussion group windows. You cannot
paste an image here - only text. Why is MS so stubborn and not include an
opportunity to attach. So many of the error messages are difficult to copy
as text.

Anyhow, in my case, my client-user sent me the error message in a .pdf file.
I can only get an image of the message from Acrobat Reader or Mac Preview.
Thus my ability to paste is limited to the image from a .jpg file.

Now that we are through with teaching me about copy/paste, do you have any
ideas about the problem that I am having. I am making a copy of my original
post and am going to open a thread in the Errors area. I hadn't noticed it
before. I am not a frequent user of these MS forums. Over the years I've
tried several times and have rarely got an answer - often lectures - but
rarely answers.