Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jay jay is offline

Default Cell Padding or Margins Within a Table

Greetings! I have a table with many cells containing text. The text is not
flush against the left border of the cells; there is reasonable space with
the text left-aligned. When I insert cells (a row at a time) into the table
and add text, that text is flush against the left border. All the text
settings appear the same. When I click within the original cells and check
the tab ruler, I see the indent sliders are just to the right of the blue
"partitions"; when I click within the cells I added, the sliders appear right
on the "partitions" and won't allow me to slide them to the left. I can't
move them in the Paragraph dialog box either.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Cell Padding or Margins Within a Table

Hello! It sounds like the issue you're experiencing is related to cell padding or margins within the table. Here's how you can adjust these settings:
  1. Select the entire table by clicking and dragging your mouse over it.
  2. In the "Table Tools" tab that appears at the top of the screen, click on "Layout."
  3. In the "Cell Size" section, you should see options for "Cell Margins" and "Cell Padding."
  4. Adjust the settings for these options to your liking. Cell margins control the space between the cell border and the text, while cell padding controls the space between the text and the cell border.
  5. Once you've made your adjustments, click outside of the table to apply the changes.

If you're still having trouble adjusting the settings, it's possible that your table is using a different style or template that is overriding your changes. In that case, you may need to adjust the style or template settings instead. Let me know if you need further assistance!
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jay jay is offline

Once again, Ms. Barnhill, you have saved my bacon. When I selected the
entire table and looked at the cell properties, the margins were blank. I
checked off the "Same as the whole table", but no changes happened. When I
selected a range of cells and looked at the cell properties, they were zeros.
I typed in the margins from a cell with "good" spacing, and it worked like a
charm. Thanks again!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I'm glad that helped. I find that often you have to drill down to get
meaningful results (selecting an entire table/document just returns
garbage).

http://word.mvps.org